Sunday, September 14, 2008

A declaration of independence.....

It happens without my even knowing it...some days I long for it to come quicker & some days I don't mind if it takes forever.   

Independence.  

I marveled the other day as I looked upon my eldest son in awe at how he's aged so.  How my middle son has changed from the toddler that I thought he still was.   How my baby has started talking so much and walking all over as in his new found freedom.   When you're in the every day moments of it you don't often notice and then one day it just hits you...as if you missed a few years of their lives and in actuality you were therec  for every last whisper.    It flies away quickly...time.  And that independence that I wished were there on those "harder" days is now upon me and I long for the days in which I'm all they depend on.   

In our walk with the Lord we start as babies and grow in our faith.   Time takes off and without us knowing it we develop this independence at times....and before we know it we can have this feeling of "I can do this on my own".   We have arrived in our walk with the Lord and then we realize we're in a place that causes us to reflect on our hearts in wonder as to how we arrived at this spot...distant from the Father.    

The Lord designed us as children to eventually leave our parents and care for ourselves...not needing to depend on them.   But in our relationship to Him, he allows us to choose Him first and every day grow more and more dependent on Him, for truly...what is life without Him.   So, with our earthly parents we make that declaration of independence from them...with our Heavenly Father we need to have hearts that ever long to depend more on Him.   But, in all honestly....I can't imagine not needing to depend on my earthly parents..I don't think I'll ever make my full declaration of independence there.    

6 comments:

Janelle said...

Your words ring true, my friend. Hope you are having a wonderful time with your BFF.

Fran said...

WOW! What a word Earen. We teach our children all about independence but do we teach them the dependence on God??? I'm not sure if it comes out so black and white from my mouth.

Hope to show them the balance between the two.

Have a wonderful day! Always praying for you.
Hugs,
Fran

BethAnne said...

I become way too independent sometimes......I need to be reminded of my "declaration of dependence" about 500 times a day!

Kristen said...

Great post Earen!

Alana said...

So true. As I get older I realize just how much MORE I need Him every day!

I'm Tara. said...

Hi, Earen! Can I start by saying that I miss you?? MOPS started on Friday and it was sad to know I wouldn't get a hug and a look at your three sweet boys! Can we meet up soon for a latte??

This is such a great post - you are so right. For me, every time I try to be independent I'm eventually brought to my knees and shown that dependence on the Lord is the only way to live.