Thursday, September 25, 2008

Shoes

It's funny how kids like to show off the new toys or things they received. If we were honest, we as adults like to show off our "new toys or things" we get too.

The first part of this month I celebrated my 33rd birthday. Much to my delight I walked in from a lovely date with my husband of eating lunch, a pedicure, and makeover at the Bobbi Brown counter at Nordstrom (you know they do those when you just show up!)....a perfect afternoon - to see about 40 people tightly fitted, waiting to yell "SURPRISE!". It was a birthday dream come true for me, for you see...I've always wanted a surprise birthday party! As shock embraced my face and tears filled my eyes, I headed over to the cake table upon my mom's request of wanting me to see it. I look at it...not more exciting than your average, yummy birthday cake and then to my ultimate surprise my best friend from California pops up from behind the cake!! I was expecting her visit, but not until 2 days later. It was delightful and just touched me deeply!! Family, friends, and even some old friends appeared back into my life...it was magnificent!! Something I will cherish forever......

During my shopping journey with my best friend, I bought a new purse...of course! I call it my "bling, bling" purse because it's shiny with alot of jewelry on it. It's a Kathy purse. In my unhumble "la-te-da" attitude I've wanted to show it off...I've wanted others to notice my "new toy!" Of course all my new makeup too....please, I spent every penny of my birthday money while she's was here!!

It wasn't until I recently bought new (real) shoes for my 16mo. old that a revelation hit me. I was amazed at how a 16mo. old was so excited to show off his new shoes. Family walked into our house & he immediately leans down, touches his shoes and says, "shos, shos." If someone were holding him he would stretch out his leg and again point to say, "shos". He wanted them to be noticed...that new gift.

I think years ago when I was 4 years old and the gift of Salvation in Jesus Christ that my mom shared with me under our kitchen table. Then in highschool at the age of 16 and the new found passion I exuded for Him. I was excited about it...I wanted to share that gift with everyone...I wanted everyone to see Him on me & in me. After awhile those "toys or things" we get become old, put away in a closet and occassionally brought out for view. The excitement wears off....even if we do still "wear" it everyday. Seeing my son so excited about his new shoes reminded me of the gift the Lord gave me years ago in receiving Him into my heart as Savior....That gift has gone so much deeper in my heart and life, but am I sharing the most amazing surprise & gift one could ever receive...the truest gift of God Himself. You see, it's not about what we do or how often we go to church or how many Christian books we read (although those things are important), it is just simply about our love relationship with Jesus Christ Himself....that's it, friends...that's it. He & His Presence....

15 comments:

Mari said...

Great post. Too often I take that great gift for granted!

Sittintall said...

Happy Birthday. It sounds like it was a fabulous one.

Shelley said...

You are so good at taking something, like our love for new things, and bringing it back around to what matters most. What a great analogy.

BethAnne said...

I wish I could have been at your surprise party!!! DERN!

Great post - again amening every part of the last paragraph.

Alana said...

We could all show off our God a little more, couldn't we?

His Girl said...

incredible post. in.cred.i.ble.

Kristen said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful birthday :o)

Great thoughts Earen! We need to be showing God off daily.

Demara said...

this was beautiful! It IS our relationship with Jesus that will illuminate from our very lives that people should notice on and in us.

Just like that new purse you got, I'm sure people say something about it, even if they don't know it's new to you!

it's new to them and if they like what they see...that's all that matters to them at the time, isn't it? and they tell you a compliment about it...

I wonder why those compliments are so easy to spit out, but the ones about Christianity not so easy to find or compliment someone on???

P.S.
btw, I was intrigued by what you said over at Mari's site that I had to come by for a visit. (what you said intrigued me so, because i had said the same thing, but didn't read through everyone's comments until after I had posted mine!)

I'm Tara. said...

A smart, smart woman. That's you. (And how fun! Happy birthday, friend.)

mariel said...

Beautiful illustration! Happiest of Birthdays, dear one!! How is the new house doing???

Fran said...

Yeah...we like to show something off don't we?? ;) I bet, well, I know that you show off Jesus beautifully!!!

Keep at it girlfriend!
Hugs,
Fran

Janna Widdifield said...

New Shoes
When I am walking down the street
I do so like to watch my feet.
Perhaps you do not know the news,
Mother had bought me fine new shoes!
--Marjorie Seymour Watts

Sarah Markley said...

this is beautiful, earen. =)

Happy belated.

Jenni S. said...

What a wonderful day of surprises for you. Thank you for what you shared - it's a good reminder to never take anything for granted.

Lynn said...

Wow! What a great birthday! Pictures?!? Love the message you shared too...