Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Passover

Last night we were invited to my family's house for a passover dinner. It was a celebration of all that Christ has done for us & a rememberance of how the Lord prevailed in victory.

My family has always been the fun and goofy type & we love it! We arrive to my parent's house with sandals on, a backpack, a walking stick...only to be greeted by my parents & grandparents wearing this same outfit. According to Exodus 12:11...we were ready to leave in a hurry like the Israelites....a symbolism of being ready for Christ's return! Can I just say that the boys LOVED it! My mom made up pictures of Moses & Pharaoh & every time we would read "Let my people go!"...they would hold up Moses' picture. Every time we would read "no"...they held up Pharaoh's picture. We all were assigned a verse to read of the plagues that occurred. We then put red paper over the door posts of the dining room area in representation of the blood of the lamb - to save us from the angel of death that would pass over...we were safe...We are forever safe because of what Christ did for us on the cross. Praise the Lord!!

We ate lamb (pork chops), and unleavened bread (pita bread), and bitter herbs (peas, corn, green beans, & salad). It was a wonderful meal followed by a special time of communion...remembering the LAMB OF GOD who became the sacrifice for us so that we no longer have to slaughter the lamb. So much symbolism.

After everything was finished we realized how much our boys had remained still at the table, enjoying what happened. They were learning...they were now remembering with us.

Growing up we did this as kids, but in kid fashion (especially when older) we thought it was fun but might think we were a little goofy & yet enjoy it. As adults, my husband & I were so appreciative of all the work my mom had gone through to make this evening happen...the desire to allow us remember - my parent's heart to teach us the things of the Lord. So, as funny as we might have looked with our outfits...we cherished that moment. Because those are the most wonderful memories I have as a kid growing up and now I have these memories with my own kids. Thank you Mama...we thoroughly enjoyed it and so treasure your heart for the Lord and reminding us during this season of all He's done for us.

12 comments:

Mary Lou said...

What a wonderful thing to do. What a great teaching tool. You have one very smart mama. You are blessed to have been taught to remember and are passing that on to your children. I am blown away by the images in my mind. Observing the passover meal like this is such a great memory maker and teacher. Makes the Bible come alive....Blessings on your family as you celebrate the risen Lord. He is risen, He is risen indeed.

Janelle said...

Our church does a Passover meal. So special and significant.

Have a wonderful Easter!

ocean mommy said...

What a great learning experience! I love this and plan on doing it with our girls!

Blessings
stephanie

Denise said...

can i come next year, and bring the family?
it sounds wonderful.

Kristen said...

Thank you for sharing your family tradition with us. That is so neat! What a wonderful experience to share as a family and what an impact it will have on our boys.

Alana said...

That is really cool.

Sarah Markley said...

This sounds fascinating. Hopefully they will carry on this tradition with their families when they grow up.

Mari said...

I just love this idea! We have done the passover meal at church too, but I think this would be a great family thing to do!

Fran said...

What an awesome thing for y'all to do together. Just beautiful! And...the key for kids is seeing it "live." Just like Mary Lou said...bring the Bible to life.

Awesome!! HE'S ALIVE!

His Girl said...

that is an INCREDIBLE tradition!

Sittintall said...

That sounds like a good time for the kids, and yet such a poignant lesson. What a creative family you have. Happy Easter to you, and thank you for your kind words on my blog.

Jenni S. said...

That is such a neat way to prepare for Easter. I just love the idea of celebrating Passover with the kids. Although, I had to laugh that the bitter herbs were vegetables. LOL!