Sunday, March 16, 2008

Staying home...

A few weeks ago a dear friend of mine called me and asked what I had been up to. I felt my body language change assuming she could see me over the phone as I took a big sigh and slumped my body into the couch to say..."You know what, we honestly just stay home." Life is easier and less stressful for us all if we just stay home. Life is busy here at home but from what I hear, it only gets busier as the children enter the years of school. That's what life is going to look like for us next year, so for now...we just stay home.

I've thought about this over the weeks and have found myself saying this to many friends since then that have asked me how I've been. This life is drastically different from our life before children. My husband and I like to be on the go. When we both got home from work, we'd go see movies, go shopping, and sometimes we would just stay snuggled up on the couch. Now it's completely different for us and we take a moment to stop and think about what all it involves before we go out with 3 boys under the age of 5.

But, we love home...it has become our resting place...our life of calm and regular routine. It has become our shelter from the storm, our hiding place, our comfort, our place of "being who we are." Who needs movies when we have entertainment right here with the love and laughter of a treasured thing called family. I think God designed it that way....

I think God desires us to "just stay home" with Him. To hide in His shelter, to rest in His arms, to find the comfort and love of a Savior who truly gave His life for us. I've really learned lately the contentment that comes in my home and the rest of spirit that I find here. My eternal Home though is where I truly desire to drench myself with nothing but Him and then tell a friend in a phone conversation that I "just stay Home" with Him even in the everyday.

11 comments:

Kristen said...

I love to be home too! It is our safe haven, our peaceful restful place.

Janelle said...

Home is my favorite place in the whole wide world. Especially when we are all snuggled up in it together. Love it!

Anonymous said...

You are right Earen! There are most definetly seasons---we have 4 under the age of 5 and they have adapted well to the older children's schedules.

Personally, I think it gets better as they grow! Busy---but in a different way. :)

Glad that God is gracing your season of motherhood to such little boys. Your work goes unnoticed by him!

Anonymous said...

I meant to say, "your work does NOT go unnoticed by Him!"

Mari said...

It's interesting you should post this because I was talking to a friend about this recently. I truly enjoy evenings at home and because I work out of the home, really enjoy days I can stay home and not have to go anywhere. I love how you connected it to resting in God!

Denise said...

you have settled into the "just staying home" much quicker than i did. i am content to stay home now, but this turn around didn't happen till my oldest was 7 and our youngest was 3. Oh i did, because of routine, and naps, and such, but i didn't enjoy it. i didn't enjoy it until i realized just how much taxi'n there was to do. so i applaud you! and encourage you to enjoy every minuet.

Sarah Markley said...

This is so uplifting and sweet! Thank you Earen.

His Girl said...

yes, what a wonderful realization!!! beautiful post!

Alana said...

Me, too, friend! It actually took me a few years of running around with young children to realize that is not what is best for me, my children, or what God desires for me! He has taken me on a journey of letting go of that busy life in the last year and I am blessed because of it!

Jenni S. said...

What's funny is that I'm a home-body, but I also crave activity and I've noticed that the girls seem to be hard-wired that way too. Because after a few days at home, something clicks and they suddenly (and persistently) ask me "to go bye-bye." And it's right about the time that I'm needing a change of scenery myself.

But there are those wonderful days when staying home seems to be exactly what we all need. Today has been one of those days, so I *loved* this post - it hit me right where I'm at today. :) Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I love it! "Just staying home" is a treat. That means your home is exactly what it ought to be - a refuge.

Trust me, there will come a day when it will be your GOAL to be able to say that again! :) Seasons change. Enjoy it, just like you are and have been. It goes fast.