Friday, June 13, 2008

My Daddy....


He is a handsome man…He always jokes to others that they probably think he looks like Robert Redford but to me, he is my Daddy.

He is the first man I ever loved…..

From the moment he held me in his arms, I knew I was his.

I watched my parents this past weekend as they gave away their son in marriage. My Daddy gave me away almost 8 years ago walking me down the isle toward my love, but this time it was different for my parents. For they were already seated.

As I watched my Dad, I saw a pride in his face, a love in his heart, a sadness in the depths of him as he was letting ago another one of his own…both of them letting go another child of theirs that they’d poured their everything in to.

I sat back in admiration remembering the time of my wedding and how special it was for me and my Dad. Flashes of all my Dad has done for me over the years went through my mind as I sat there & watched him give his first born son away.

A gratefulness washed over me this past weekend for both my parents. Now that I have children of my own, I see the sacrifice and service involved in being a parent. I am grateful for a Dad who was always there…always supported and encouraged us…always loved us…always loved me.

Life is changing in our family…marriages, new little lives…time is moving on. Now as I watch him hold my children in his arms, I see the love he has for them and remember looking at him the same way they do. Admiration, love, and respect…for who he is to all of us…for all he’s done for each of us…and for the amazing Daddy that he is to me.

Happy Father’s Day Daddy….my heart is forever grateful for you. I love you so very dearly. Thank you for all you’ve done for us…When you don’t think all you do is being notice, know that it is and there will never be words to express my gratitude. There’s no one like you and don’t forget…you might have given me away 8 years ago, but I’ll always be your little girl.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

what a beautiful tribute to your daddy! i have tears in my eyes as i read this.... what a blessing you are to each other.

Janelle said...

Bravo, Earen. You did it again with your sweet words. You have such a gift of encouragement. I hope your Daddy is reading this and feeling loved by his princess.

Unknown said...

Best Father-in-law ever. Happy Father's Day. Great post Earen

Unknown said...

Oh Earen, you know how to make a grown man cry. Yes my little girl, you will always be my sweet little girl. Watching you grow up, marry one of the finest young man I have ever met, and than to see my grandchildren - I am so proud of you. I have made many mistakes in my life (Harvest Festival not being one)but there is one thing that will never change and that is the love that I have for my children. It is hard watching you grow up knowing that someday I won't be able to read the Word to you or tuck you into bed at nights but life goes on and I cannot keep you forever. That is why I am so proud of Dan because I see a loving husband and a good Daddy also. I am blessed, thank you Jesus for my children and now I have a new daughter whom I know I will learn to love as one of my own.

Jenni S. said...

You have a wonderful way of writing such heartfelt tributes to those you love. He sounds like a sweet and loving father.