Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Always in training....

I took my sweet boys all to the store with me today...Yikes! I know we've all been there...I decided to be brave and tackle the store with all 3 boys BY MYSELF because I needed something very important at Target. I felt I just couldn't go another moment without it and really, it was an essential. I was already out & about, so I thought..."I'll swing by & just go in real quick"...right.

I have one child in the seat up front, one child in the back of the cart, and one walking beside me. They touch everything...they pull things off the shelves as I'm trying to look at these cute shoes on clearance. They would like to look at every toy in every isle, they want popcorn for the ride.

What kind of mother am I that would allow this kind of behavior? This is the thought I had BEFORE I had children. I would look at other mothers and their kids and think, "they need to get their kids under control". Open mouth...insert foot! Oh, how I now understand. I now get the look myself and I now just give an understanding chuckle & the mother to mother nod you give that says..."been there, understand".

Our children are going to push us to the limits...they are testing our boundaries...seeing how far they can go. I have heard & read that truly deep down children desire discipline from us for that in itself shows them love. We are training hearts....we are raising them not to be happy, but to be holy. If we have taught them manners, morals, and so many other things, but have not shown them Jesus, then we have failed. All are important, but all pales in comparison to Jesus.
So, amidst my training again today in the store and teaching them what obedience looks like there and trying to maintain control while buying my very essential item, I learn that I grab "things" off shelves and try to do my own thing with the Lord but sometimes I need to sit still, fold my hands, be obedient and listen to that sweet voice from the Lord....

And it was all worth it because when all was said and done I was able to get my very important essential item.....Chocolate.

12 comments:

mariel said...

haha! I have definately been there! And can I just guess...but did you walk out with 17 items you DID NOT plan on buying?! It seems I can barely 'run into' Target alone...let alone with my boys!!

Fran said...

I was dying to know what the "essential" item was....I wasn't thinking chocolate, but completely understand! :)

And, you hang in there....the day WILL come and you can take all of them to the store and a couple of friends too. Shocking I know.

Unknown said...

I am laughing and laughing because I remember when you were all young and how you would act when I also went into the store to get something I really needed- chocolate! I knew that was what you were after. I can not stop laughing you sweet girl. Love you!!!!mama

Karen Giron said...

Ohhhh, chocolate is SO worth it! I'm glad you use the shopping cart as a gigantic stroller too - ha! Last time we were in Target Avery tripped and spilled her popcorn all over the main aisle. Niiice. Your story just made me giggle with complete understanding.

Janelle said...

Don't you wish all stores could be drive-thru? That would ROCK. But I guess we have to do it the hard way so we can actually teach our kids something.

Good for you, mom!

Alana said...

Oh yeah, chocolate is most DEFINITELY essential. I can see now why you braved it ;-)

Shelley said...

The popcorn has been banned from our shopping trips at Target. One too many piles of popcorn have been left by us! I love that you went for chocolate! I have chocolate on my Target list right now!

Anonymous said...

If I were going out with all the kids, I'd need chocolate too! :)

Seriously, all joking aside.....you are so right. If we don't teach them about Jesus we have failed miserably.

Sittintall said...

I think we've all had days like that. In fact usually my girls are pretty good in the store (of course I only have 2), so I don't think twice about going, but today I was on the brink of letting out some steam. I had to go home, take a deep breath and then say an apology to my 3 year old. How naive to think before we had children, parents could keep their toddlers under control at all times. Thank goodness for God's grace.

His Girl said...

here's hope: I can now run into target whenever I need to- and my 3 kids (ages 8,8, and 13) are actually HELPFUL now.

I know, hard to imagine... but true... don't give up!

Kristen said...

so so funny! amazing how our perspective on kids in restaurants, stores, airplanes change once you are a parent. we have all been there and need to support each other.

Jenni S. said...

Chocolate is absolutely a reason to do an emergency T.arget run. Thanks for the reminder about training - it's easy to get caught up in the behavior rather than the heart attitude.