Sunday, July 6, 2008

Control

Control...it has got to be a disease with me. We all want it...we strive for it...we go after it & most times, we don't get it. We want to be in charge of the situation, the circumstance, the issue.

My house is a disaster. After having it in tip top shape for 1 1/2 months for showings, it is now sold and we have let things go. The problem is, I loved having it so clean all the time. Yet, now I've lost control as toys are tossed everywhere....boxes are piling up in my home and honestly, the mess drives me nuts. I have no control and even amidst my best efforts, there's always something to clean or pick up. It's ever constant & I'm exhausted from even the thoughts of what I need to do.

There are many things in my life right now that are out of my control. The big one being that I'm waiting to hear back from the offer we put on a home. It's a foreclosure so the bank tends to take longer than your average sale. So we wait...and if we counter-offer, well then we wait again. I'm reminded of that verse in Proverbs. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not onto your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths." LEAN NOT ON MY OWN UNDERSTANDING....HE WILL DIRECT MY PATH IF I TRUST HIM!!!!

So, we might want control in things, but I'll never really get it because I trust a Savior that I desire to lay everything at the feet of. And if truth be told, deep down...I'm thankful He has the control and not me.

13 comments:

Mari said...

I really am with you on this. I have a problem with control too. Like you though I'm really glad that God is in control!

Kristen said...

Oh how I can relate. Especially to the house situation when we were moving. I loved having a clean house all the time but it seemed that once our house was sold I was so burned out on the cleaning thing and I needed to pack that things seemed to go downhill.

I love that verse! landon has been learning that verse in sunday school over the last month. it is hard to keep in mind that God is in control when we just want things to go our way.

Shelley said...

Oh AMEN! I am so glad I am not controlling my own life, if I were...*shudder*...scary!

Fran said...

Him in control...I'm not. Him in control...I'm not. Him in control....I'm not.

I need to repeat that 1001 times each day.

Good word Earen.
Big hugs~
Fran

Sarah Markley said...

oh, gosh, gosh, gosh...learning this is so hard. i haven't learned it yet, but the Lord seems to keep bringing me back to trust him. Great reminder, earen.

Anonymous said...

Moving is one of those situations where I always feel way out of control. The timing is not anything one can predict or plan for. We've moved several times now, so I feel your pain!

But you know what? We're here, and so, so far, it has also always worked out. Somehow!

Hang in!

Jen

Jenni S. said...

Oh this hit home with me! I'm all about some control and He has been slowly breaking me down in this area lately because He and I both know that I need to give that attitude up. I'll be walking that road with you, Earen!

His Girl said...

oh control! i wish i could have need-for-control-ectomy!!!

hope your bid goes exactly what He has planned!

I'm Tara. said...

Congratulations on selling your home! I'm on the other side of that equation struggling with the same control concept, so I totally get it, too.

Btw - I dreamed I ran into you and Shannon in the grocery store last night.

Keek said...

I agree! God is good, all the time. In the mess and in the clean, in the selling and in the not selling, in the wait and in the instant gratification, when we're in control and when we release control to Him. God is good, all the time. It's how we choose to grow by the process he allows us to walk through in every situation!

Keek said...

I totally agree, E! I can't imagine what life would be like if I were the one in control! I'm happy to turn that over to the one who sees all and knows all!

joy said...

that verse has seen me through many uncertain times. sorry things seem so chaotic for you right now, but i'm glad to hear that you are taking comfort and peace in the Great Comforter.

Alana said...

This is the hardest lesson. One I feel I will be in the process of learning for quite some time. Great thoughts, Earen.