Monday, December 10, 2007

A coffee cup...

My mother in law emailed this to me and I thought it was really touching. Made me take a step back & think. I'd love to know what you think too!!

Coffee

A group of alumni, all highly established in their respective careers got
together for a visit with their old university professor. The conversation
soon turned to complaints about the endless stress of work and life in
general...

Offering his guests coffee, the professor went into the kitchen and soon
returned with a large pot of coffee and an eclectic assortment of cups:
porcelain, plastic, glass, crystal - some plain, some expensive, some quite
exquisite. Quietly he told them to help themselves to some fresh coffee..

When each of his former students had a cup of coffee in hand, the old
professor quietly cleared his throat and began to patiently address the
small gathering... ''You may have noticed that all of the nicer looking
cups were taken up first, leaving behind the plainer and cheaper ones.
While it is only natural for you to want only the best for yourselves that
is actually the source of much of your stress-related problems."

He continued...''Be assured that the cup itself adds no quality to the
coffee. In fact, the cup merely disguises or dresses up what we drink.
What each of you really wanted was coffee, not a cup, but you instinctively
went for the best cups... Then you began eyeing each other's cups....''

''Now consider this: Life is coffee. Jobs, money, and position in society
are merely cups. They are just tools to shape and contain Life, and the
type of cup we have does not truly define nor change the quality of the
Life we live. Often, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the
coffee that God has provided us... God brews the coffee, but He does not
supply the cups. Enjoy your coffee!''

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the
best of everything... So please remember: Live Simply. Love Generously.
Care Deeply. Speak Kindly. Leave the Rest to GOD.

10 comments:

dawn said...

Oh Earen,

Thanks so much for this. I was just talking to my sweet husband about how our house is just too small and that we are growing out of it. I was feeling really ungrateful for what God has blessed me with in this home.

I needed this reminder today. You have no idea how much I needed it. Thank you so much. Is it okay with you if I post your link in my blog for others to read?

Alana said...

So, so true. A lesson I am learning more and more with age. It's a message that is quite foreign to our generation, I believe.

Kristen said...

i love that!! it is so true- a lesson i hope to impart to my children. thanks so much for sharing

dawn said...

Thanks, Earen. You may list my blog too. I don't have blogs listed because I have no idea how to do it, but I did post a link to yours because I loved it so much.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that the truth? I love the analogy.

Shelley said...

Hello, I hopped over from Dawn's blog. That is an incredible story, one that definately strikes a chord in me. I feel like I go through phases, sometimes I am grateful and happy with all that I have, other times I am selfish and grumpy. I love this analogy, thanks so very much.

Sittintall said...

This was a wonderful post. Especially during this season. It makes us think that even without the flashy gifts, decorations, etc we can still enjoy the gift of family time, friends, and of course the giver of all gifts- God. We truly need to appreciate the things we are currently blessed with and not covet others. Thanks

BethAnne said...

Right on the money. Most of us have so much and we dont even want much of what we have. Money is good to have as long as it doesnt have you--- and that is the problem with many people today.

Janelle said...

Beautiful story and a great message for this season.

Thank you for posting this reminder.

Renee said...

That was a beautiful story. Word pictures like that are so good at getting their point across...they really make me think.

Why is it so hard to just enjoy our coffee (life)? I imagine God just shakes His head at us sometimes...cuz we so often don't get it.