Monday, December 3, 2007

Learning...

Well, it has been awhile since I've posted an update on my new lifestyle eating habits, so I thought it was about time!!

I've learned a lot through this process & am finding that truly the more junk food I eat, the more I want & the worse I feel. I didn't to do well on Thanksgiving Day with the little fun peanuts & M&M's that were out. I felt really yucky by the end of the day. Then this past weekend I hosted a woman's brunch at my home with my accountability group and we had Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake, Hashbrown Casserole, and Hot Chocolate. As much as it tasted wonderful for the moment, I then felt yucky as the day went on. Then my eating education all came back to me. When eating a lot of sugar, I'm spiking my blood sugar levels for a bit which makes everything feel good, but then after a bit it comes crashing down & I feel bloated, sick, & just out of it. When I was first told this, I was like..."ok, whatever! Junk food doesn't do that to me!!" But, after having eaten so well for awhile, I'm realizing it's true.

This week I listened to another one of the videos I've been asked to watch on this all & she said that when you eat a lot of sugar & your blood sugar is spiked, your body has now been taken out of fat burning mode. Even if you eat really well the rest of the day, you're not in that fat burning mode like you need to be which requires a stable blood sugar level. Also, I think we all know this, but skipping meals is just so bad for your body & metabolism. It's like putting fuel (food) on a fire (your body) & if the fire goes out, so does your metabolism. They really do suggest the 6 small meals a day, but you need at least breakfast, lunch, and dinner to keep that blood sugar steady, along with the fact that when you don't give yourself the right amount of food your body goes into possible starvation mode and will hold on to what you're eating since your body is feeling like it won't be given much food...I know, opposite of what we've always thought in dieting, right?! The less we eat the more we lose...NOT! Of course you have to eat the healthy, right foods though. I'm realizing I did so much harm to my body!! So, I'm learning a lot.

Mostly, I'm learning to pray a lot and realize how incredibly amazing our bodies were designed by the Lord! I'm actually pretty shocked how wonderfully I feel and how much easier this is than I thought. It's really true...when you eat the right foods & properly, the cravings and desires aren't there as much. Now, don't get me wrong...I have moments in which I really want that chocolate...thus the lesson of praying. I still battle in my mind at times.

With that all being said, I am doing my first official weigh in my with friend tonight. I did honestly check to see where I'm at this morning & since first starting my whole weight loss journey just 2 months ago, I've lost 27 pounds. Praise the Lord! All glory to Him!! I feel this program is an answer to my prayers that I've had for years and years.....

6 comments:

Kristen said...

CONGRATULATIONS! That is so amazing. I am proud of you! You have learned so much and I appreciate that you share what you have learned with the rest of us. This process is a journey and there will be hills and valleys but through it all you need to lean on Him.

Alana said...

That is wonderful news Earen! I started my own journey of weight loss this past week and lost 4 pounds. I've been trying to give it up to God each day because I know that I cannot do it. Thankfully, HE CAN!

Sarah Markley said...

Oh wow!! Congratulations, Earen. What an amazing accomplishment. Good for you and good for you being able to "think it through"! I love hearing things like this!

Renee said...

Wow!
Yay!

Congratulations, Earen. This is wonderful news. Not just the weight loss (although that is INCREDIBLE!!), but also just how much you're learning. About yourself, God, and about food.

Please continue to share this with us. You are learning so many valuable things right now!!

Now I need to find a Shannon who can teach me these things. And I need to get my heart, and my spirit in order.

I am sooooooo proud of you. Inspired by you.

Keep up the amazing work!

Sittintall said...

That is truly awesome! 27lbs is fantastic, and especially in 2 months time. You'll have to say more about your program. I need something to go on come Jan 1st!

BethAnne said...

27 lbs? Are you kidding me? That is completely wonderful. I, too have started watching what I eat and trying to cut out bread and sugar. My head hurts, but otherwise I have much more energy. I have done this several times - I pray I can keep it up this time and do it as a lifestyle not a diet - thats the hard part. I am so proud of you - what a wonderful accomplishment. Are you getting tired of people asking you how you lost your weight yet?