Monday, November 26, 2007

All about Him....

This past weekend we went and watched my brother play basketball. He plays for a University here where we live and it has been fun to watch him move up from the high school level to college. It has been different for us though. You see, last year Abram played in high school and was one of the main stars if not the star of the team. (I'm not biased or anything though!) Scouts were watching him, organizations that play in the off season really wanted him to come play with him, and he was honored! He even got written up in the newspaper here as Mr. 3A athlete for that week. It was exciting!!

He now has moved to playing college ball and now everything is different. He went from being the "star" of the team to us hoping he might get to play for a few moments and maybe hit a basket. You see, the playing level has changed and now you're playing against and with athletes who are really good. So, basketball for him has changed and our attitudes have changed as well. No matter what, we will always be proud of him and we get so excited when we see him being sent in to play - but it's just different. It might not be this way for all 4 years, but it's how it is now.

Do we ever get to a point in a position where we are a "star" or even to a point in our relationship with the Lord that we feel we have arrived? (My brother never had this attitude though) Where we are so proud of ourselves and think we are all that (again, my brother never showed this attitude) only to be "sat on the bench" and humbled all over again? How quickly for me the feeling of "thinking I'm SO important" can creep in and God must just be shaking His head as if to say, "It's now time to sit for awhile."

As hard as this is, I find this is where God teaches me so much. I'm never "all that." I've never "arrived.".....Deep in our heart and soul we need to desire to be nothing but a humble vessel to be refined and used by Him. You see, as fun as it was for Abram to be the star player for several years and learn in that setting, I see his faith and humbleness growing in ways I've never seen and he's growing into quite a man of integrity. I think often of the fact that when we are nothing & He's everything....that's the spot I want to be in. Nothing left of me so all you see is Him. In this life it's not about us.....Him.

10 comments:

Short Stop said...

First, congrats to your brother on such great basketball success! My brother played, too...and it's tough in college!

You are so right about time to just sit and really "know" who we are before God. Sometimes, God sits me when I don't want to be there...but you're right...it's where He can really teach us humility and a reliance on Him.

Great post, Earen!

BethAnne said...

Sometimes it is hard to realize that we are servants not celebrities in the Kingdom of God. God isnt interested in who we are in the organizational chart, but who we are in Him. Good word for me- thanks!

Denise said...

beautiful.
i have been humbled many times. "God magnify your mercies on me" seems to be my prayer these past few days. So grateful for His grace, compassion and mercy this Thanksgiving season.
I need it!

Denise said...

beautiful.
i have been humbled many times. "God magnify your mercies on me" seems to be my prayer these past few days. So grateful for His grace, compassion and mercy this Thanksgiving season.
I need it!

Anonymous said...

I liked what Bethanne said!

I can't imagine having a younger sibling in college---my youngest sister graduated from college 4 years ago. What an exciting time in your brother's life.

Alana said...

Wise words. I completely agree. Sometimes in Christian service it really is important to step aside.

I'm feeling like God is emptying my life of commitments lately...I think He's thinking it is time for me to sit out awhile.

I'm thankful for that.

Kristen said...

How fun to be able to support and watch your brother play basketball. He sounds like a wonderful young man!

I am needing to find time to sit out and just be with God. I know He is working and even though it is hard to step back and say no it is what God wants and in the end it will be a big relief to just be on the bench.

I'm Tara. said...

I have come back several times to the thought that I become the closest to the Lord when I keep it in my head that without Him I am nothing. Without Him I can do nothing. WITH Him, I am everything. WITH Him, I can DO anything.

You're right -- we just need to humble ourselves sometimes. Being broken a bit is sometimes the easiest way to recognize just who and where you really are.

Janelle said...

Beautiful words this morning. I needed to hear that.

My husband had a similar experience with college baseball. He went from the top to the bottom. It was really hard on him mentally and emotionally. It was hard to see his dream dying.

I hope your brother will see His purpose in this season.

Renee said...

I haven't been keeping up with blogs lately, and I've missed reading your posts. Your love for the Lord is just so bright...it is always inspiring to me.

This is a great post. A good reminder. Thank you for sharing. Love ya!