Thursday, November 8, 2007

Darkness

The electricity went out Tuesday. From noon until 6am the next morning...darkness. No phone, no email, no blogging, no TV, no videos, no hair dryer, nothing that would require electricity. It was not fun...but I learned a few things about life & myself.

During this outage, my youngest son Levi decided that he didn't want to take a nap but just cry! So, instead of this power outage causing me to dig into a good book or magazine (something I rarely do) since my older boys were resting, I not only was dealing with my little guy, but doing it without any form of other entertainment..such as the television. Finally getting Levi to somewhat calm down I decided to just rest myself by taking a nap...novel idea! Only to wake up not shortly after lying down to the sounds of crying yet again.

Things throughout the day proceeded and nothing...it then became dark. Out came the candles and flashlights. Normally, this might be seen as a fun venture, but after hours of already being off and not wanting to open the refrigerator or freezer to let out the coldness, I found I couldn't fix dinner - I couldn't see things around my house as well as I'd like and I found that it was affecting my mood. I hate darkness...I believe it's one of the reasons I don't care for winter as much...dark in the morning & dark in the night, sooner.

So, we decided to leave the house & go out to entertain our kids elsewhere. It ended up being a fun evening.

I found myself in worry again....worrying about the food going bad....worrying about my kids being warm enough if the heat didn't come back during the night....worrying about what we would do the next day should it still be off...worrying. Then I found myself upset at the electric company. Were they working hard enough to fix it? Telling me many times they'd have it fixed in a hour...18 hours later. If we are around in the last days, I know things will be much harder than they were for me the other day. It was almost a moment of panic as if to say, "What if this is the way it will be?" "Am I prepared?" I am not....I am definitely spiritually prepared, but if things got really hard, which I know they eventually will according to what the Word says, what would I do? Thoughts entered both my husband & my minds as we realized that we are spoiled. We always take advantage of what we have until we don't have it anymore.

A relief hit my heart as I heard the heater come back, and the baby monitors beginning to work at 6am the next day. But, in my heart was also a feeling of wow, the end will be hard...We think life without the Lord is hard now, I can't imagine it without Him then. I'm hoping He might make it easy for us believers & just rapture us before then...we'll see!

9 comments:

Sittintall said...

So sorry for the power outage and crying rage (that can be quite frustrating). Last weekend Katie cried 2 hours straight in the middle of the night and I felt like I had a 3 month old again. For now, our computer broke down, so we have no computer access (no blogging :( for the next 2 weeks). But I can focus on other great things in my life. Hope you have a great day.

Unknown said...

I know that not having electricity was not fun, but it was priceless to see our two older boys having fun with only flashlights for light. It will be a night we will always remember.

BethAnne said...

Aren't you thankful for the hope of the Rapture? Thankfully, as believer we wont have to go through what many people will have to in the last days. Just like and earthly father would shield their children from the worst of a storm, God will give His children shelter in Him. While the storm continues to rage on earth, we will be with Him. Praise the Lord, I love thinking about the rapture of the church!!!! Sorry about the power outage.....no hair dryer? That is cruel and unusual punishment! hahahaha

Renee said...

I'm sorry that you were without power for so long...I can imagine how frustrating that must have been. And to have a fussy baby on top of that...sounds like a rough time. (((((((((((Earen))))))))

I'm glad that you had fun going out, though, and it sounds like you made some memories (like Dan said!)

I know what you mean, about thinking about how rough it's going to get. When I was browsing through myspace the other day, that's what I was thinking. Yuck. :P Thank God that He will be there for us, even in the midst of the yuckiness.

I love ya Earen, and love your heart!!

Sarah Markley said...

I hate that! I'm glad you all made it through - no fun not being able to open the fridge. Sounds like a Chuck-e-cheese night to me! =) Flashlights are fun at any age, I think!

Kristen said...

Sorry to hear about the power outage! That is a long time to be without power. To not be able to open the fridge or cook - ugh! You made the best of the evening and have some great family memories :o)

I'm Tara. said...

I love that you turned a huge inconvenience and potentially fight-inducing situation into a fun family memory!!

Alana said...

It is amazing how we take things like that for granted and don't even realize the convenience until they are not there!

Glad the power is back on!

Anonymous said...

You wouldn't want to live in Florida then. :) We use to lose electricity all the time with the Hurricanes. We eventually bought a generator. We don't lose electricity with the typhoons in Japan though----thank goodness!

I loved the spiritual analogy you used with the darkness. I, too, am not fond of the dark. Thank you Jesus that You are the light of the world and that your Word is a lamp unto our feet.

I am glad that you ventured out and made memories. :)