Monday, November 5, 2007

Mini-Me Monday

My thinking regarding things really changed this past week & it's a good thing! I've been reading this book called, "Dare to Lose." It's a book my nutritionist friend gave to me to read & I've been fascinated by it. She keeps talking about how our continual dieting can have a major affect on our bodies & metabolism and how much we shouldn't be looking at the scale & having those numbers dictate how we feel about ourselves...She's more concerned about how much fat percentage we are losing because probably in the past when we've lost weight, we've lost muscle mass & that's not a good thing.

So, I'm challenged...my thinking is going to have to change. How can a brain that has been so focused on the scale for so long change? Only through the Lord. She challenged me to look at what I was doing with LAWL and dieting again and I felt from the Lord that I need to do things completely different this time...different from all other times. So, I stopped going to LAWL...that's right, I quit. And let me tell you, there was definitely a release of a burden in having to eat so much! I know that sounds quite odd for someone who likes to eat, but it was becoming quite a burden. I had also gotten frustrated with the disappointment of stepping on their scale 3 times a week only to see that I was hardly accomplishing anything.

So, I'm going directly with my friend who's been helping me & the program called Transitions. I am eating foods that are harder for me to eat, but I'm feeling so much better, not hungry, & the cravings aren't nearly as intense. Now, it's not to say that I don't have hard moments...yesterday I burst into tears on my husband, who by the way is so amazingly supportive! I am learning how to change my thinking of the way I eat....I'm grieving a bit giving up my junk food that I love so much. It's a process....

After not stepping on the scale for awhile, I decided to step on it just to see where I was at & much to my amazement I'm down 16 lbs. Yes, I too was shocked! I'm pleased to see what's happening and even more excited & nervous about the shift in eating that my life is taking.

7 comments:

Kristen said...

YAHOO! Way to go Earen! That is wonderful! It is a challenge to not live by the scale. Up until last January, we never owned one. I thought it would help motivate me to lose the baby weight - I think it has been more of a hinderance than a help. Keep up the good work! What types of food is your friend having you eat??

BethAnne said...

16 POUNDS? THAT IS AWESOME!!!! Okay time to tell us what you are eating and when.......I want to lose 16 pounds too!

Renee said...

16 lbs? I hope you did a little (or big) dance when you saw that! That's great!! Woo-hoo!! Go Earen...Go Earen...Go Earen....

I would love to hear more about what you're eating, and what kind of plan you're following.

Tara and I were just talking about this. (And I think you and she were too...) About how it's more than just weight loss this time. That it's about being healthy, and making good choices.

It is encouraging to know we're really on this same road together!! I love you, friend!

Alana said...

That is AWESOME!

Wow!

Really great, Earen!

Keep it up...you are an inspiration!

Sarah Markley said...

AMAZING! That is awesome, Earen. Not easy, I know. Great job! =)

I'm Tara. said...

Wow! Awesome, Earen!!! You're melting! :-) I'm so excited for you!! I get the whole "it's a process thing" though -- truly. Way to go, friend!!

Sittintall said...

That's wonderful! You'll have to share some of the secrets of the book, and what you are eating that is so hard to eat. I am very intrigued. Since September, I have lost a total of 3lbs and that is it. I'm not really trying, so I guess I can't expect much. But 16lbs, that's awesome.