Sunday, November 11, 2007

A longing for discipline....

I've heard over & over in parenting classes that children actually long for our discipline because it shows them we care & love them. Isn't it so true...it might be just simply an attention getter on their part or at times I know they are just wanting to check again & see who's really in charge. Afterwards there is a relief & calm that comes over them. Almost as if to say, "thank you mom/dad...I'm so glad you love me." It's a weird thing, but alas one that causes us to grow.

Here's what I discovered this past week...I was longing for that treadmill of mine. Weird as it may sound, it's true. I felt almost as if a burden had been lifted off when I was finished working out...a big stress reliever. It's a discipline for me. Different than a form of punishment but still something that at times can hurt and one I sometimes fight against. I guess for me it can seem as a form of punishment & yet I feel rejuvenated and ready to go afterwards! Whether it be a child needing some correction in the form of discipline or the discipline of working out and eating healthy, I find it's longed for - honestly whether we realize it or not.

Our children desire this discipline because it shows that we love them and care about shaping their hearts for the Lord. So, when I go to discipline myself (so to speak) on that treadmill I do it because I am showing myself that I care and love myself....that I want to care for this temple the Lord has given me....I want to be healthy...I want to be around to watch my kids grow up, to grow more in love with my husband, to grow more in love with my Lord. You see, this discipline in my life can sometimes stink and it hurts and it's hard, but I do it not only to show others that I love them, but because I love myself...not a love of prideful boasting, but a realization that God gave me this body and how am I caring for it?

When I am out of control in my eating and exercising is non-existent, for me there is no discipline. Life then for me is more dull and can affect my energy and my overall outlook can be dimmer. So, I guess there is something to this thing called discipline...I guess it's longed for.

8 comments:

Alana said...

So true. Great post, Earen.

Anonymous said...

Ir's true but I still don't like the "D" word. :)

Sittintall said...

Another great post from you! That is a good reminder for me. I have been waking up late these past couple of weeks (since my headaches have been bothering me), but part of me wonders if I woke up on time and did my treadmill, maybe the headaches would be better and I wouldn't feel so lousy for half of the day. Discipline is good (but it can feel like a love/hate relationship). Thanks

BethAnne said...

You are so right. I feel so much better when I treat my body as it should be treated instead of just eating everything in sight and not exercising. Most of us could use a good lesson in discipline (especially me) when it comes to diet and exercise. Can you remind me of this tomorrow and the next day and then the next day and then the next day.......... :-)

Renee said...

Once again I am blessed by the sharing of your heart, Earen. This is so true...

Especially in this journey of trying to better ourselves.

Thank you so much for this encouragement. I love your heart!!

Kristen said...

Isn't that the truth! I feel so much better when I get up, workout, and then start my day. I am in a better mood, our day goes more smoothly, etc.. The discipline is needed - it makes things run like a well oiled machine. Thanks for this post - it was great :o)

I'm Tara. said...

Yep! I gotta slap myself around a little bit from time to time, and then I feel better. Like "Ahhhh, that's better. And what took ya so long??" I am so glad that you started blogging -- you always bless me with your thoughts, sweet friend. I'm so proud of you!!

Sarah Markley said...

Oh, I just SO agree with you!