Sunday, April 27, 2008

Do you trust?

Do you ever wonder, "Do I really trust the Lord?" When push comes to shove, do I trust Him with all I have...everything? If all was stripped away and you were left with nothing but Him, would you still trust?

I grew up in a home in which money was tight. You see, my dad was a Christian school principal and in case you don't know...they don't get paid a lot. It's a passion...a ministry....sacrifice. I never remember feeling poor and even though my parents will tell you that at times they prayed for the next meal, I never even remember the lack thereof.

I do remember times though of amazing provision from the Lord. Times in which we needed the Lord to provide some food for us and food would appear on our door step or money would be provided. The year in elementary school in which my parents prayed for money for school supplies and another teacher gave each of us money for supplies...not knowing that she was our answer to prayer. The months in which a local bakery had lots of leftovers and happen to just give to us...and at the point in which we were doing well, the local bakery stopped having leftovers. Mostly, the faith, prayer, dependence on the Lord, and love taught to us by these amazing people I am honored to call my parents. Times were tough and times are still sometimes tough. A giving of self in obedience to a Higher calling that I know one day awaits for them many jewels on that crown. There was never a word from them of doubt in the provisions of God....never a harsh word I heard in frustration towards the Lord (although I'm sure there might have been some in private)...ALWAYS a knowing and teaching that God will provide...trust.

Many of us don't know what this kind of life looks like....the financial blessings are rich in our lives. I admit as an adult I've not faced this lack of knowing where the next meal might come. But, I ask myself...the richness of the Lord in full evidence. Is it worth the sacrifice? Is it worth the obedience? Is it worth the pain? I know deep in my heart that the answer is a resounding, yes! For through the fire, we are refined...molded into who He is and stripped of all that is us.

I know the end of the Book...things aren't going to get easier....are you ready to trust in ways you've never known? To have that undying faith to know that no matter what, God will provide? Our family is personally facing a moment in which we are following a path of obedience and having to trust in Him...in His timing, in His perfect plan for us. I'm excited to share of the provisions He provides and the Glory all due His name....

And to think, it was because of those amazing people I am honored to call my parents....where would I be without them and the example they laid before me. For I'm sure they would not have preferred to have life that much of a struggle, but what they don't realize is the amazing depth of God's provision I saw and their modeling to me the unmeasurable trust and faith in God....for He's truly good all the time. Good and bad times...He's faithful. That's what they taught me.

7 comments:

Lynn said...

I have thought many times about how we have been blessed to never have to live paycheck to paycheck. I have never gotten to the counter at the grocery store and had to put something back because I didn't have the money to pay for everything.

I love how the example of your parents taught you to rest in the Lord. They also taught you how to be wise with what you are given (which is why you were not aware of the financial crunch). I think it is a wonderful gift to give our children...not to want for nothing but to give joy for what we are given and be good stewards of those blessings.

His Girl said...

beautiful tribute. *sigh*

BethAnne said...

Amen!!!! What a blessing to have Christian parents.......how blessed your boys are to have that legacy.

Jenni S. said...

Oh how I hope to be that kind of parent. While we have not struggled financial, He has built our trust in Him in different ways and I only hope we, as parents, are passing that trust down to our girls. Thank you for this beautiful reminder of how worthy He is of our trust.

Alana said...

I think financial matters are one of he hardest areas to trust in, but we have found God to always be faithful to provide our needs.

Mary Lou said...

What a blessing. I pray your parents read your blog. Parents always love to know that what they did while you were growing up was good for you and the right thing. As parents, we can only do what we know to do each day and do it to the best of our ability. "old" parents need to know that what we did when you were growing up was what the Lord wanted. I have one child who chose to follow Him more closely than the other and how my heart breaks. I don't take the credit nor the blame, but I do love the reassurances that I did all I knew to do at the time. You are following in great footsteps. Thank you for blesing your parents in this way.

Janelle said...

I am just getting caught up on your blog. I have missed you.

I hope you and your family are doing well. I love the family pictures. You have every right to brag!! Goodness, your boys are cute.

Have a great evening.