Monday, August 20, 2007

Time Alone

As so many of us know, time alone is a very, cherished gift. We don’t get it often, but when we do it’s like a slice of heaven…at least for me anyway. When you have little children your time is much demanded of, not to mention when you have a newborn who is nursing every 3-3 ½ hours.

Yesterday my dear, sweet husband encouraged me to go out by myself. It was his last day off before going back to work (he’s a teacher) and he wanted me to enjoy some time alone. He’s an absolutely wonderful & thoughtful husband! So in between feeding Levi, I headed to what has become my most favorite thing to do & that’s to go to a bookstore, get a cup of coffee, sit there & look at People Magazine. Yes, I admit it…I have a real liking for the magazine that keeps me up to date & informed about the important stars in our culture! Ha! Do you as a mom remember the last time you got to sit for more than 1 hour and just relax? Ahh…it was sweetness!

Even as I was sitting there enjoying my time, I would periodically look up & notice the distractions that I would call…people. I love people watching, but as I was sitting there & letting my mind think for a moment, I thought about all the distractions that take my attention away from the Lord & focusing on Him. And isn’t it the truth that even when you are completely alone, in your room, having some sweet time in the Word – your mind is the greatest distraction of all. You might think about what you should be doing, or you think you hear a child in the background, or my favorite…you fall asleep!

How do we find that true aloneness with the Lord? For me there might not always be the aloneness - completely by myself - but I strive for the time with just Him daily. Regardless of it being just a moment to myself while the boys are napping, or reading the Word to them during our breakfast time together….I sometimes think in my stage of life that “time alone” with the Lord encompasses more than just the actual moment of being alone. In my heart I long for moments alone with my Savior while life is taking place around me.

3 comments:

I'm Tara. said...

Glad you got some time to yourself. You're right -- I am my own worst distraction. I love your blog, Earen!! I love your positivity and will look forward to your heart encouraging mine. Love ya!!!

Sarah Markley said...

I so agree. And I don't think many people share this view; but I totally think time "alone" with God can be in the midst of doing the dirty, sticky things of life and mothering. And, BTW, I love People too. We went through a no magazine, no tv phase for about 2 years. Then when we started getting magazines again, we subscribed to People. It comes every Friday and we usually devour it by Saturday pancakes. Too funny.

Renee said...

That's too funny. I've been needing a little bit of time 'away' lately, and my husband suggested that I go to a bookstore. Before we had kids, we would quite often go to a bookstore, get coffee, and look at magazines.

That is one of my favorite ways to unwind...nothing like a little 'me' time, some coffee, and some celebrity gossip!

Your attitude, insight, and passion for the Lord are such a blessing! Sometimes God just surprises us with a 'Wow...thanks!' person in our lives. You're one of those for me!