Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Traditions and Family

Yesterday was my Grandma's 75th birthday! My grandma is such an amazing woman of God and holds such a dear and special place in my heart.

For birthdays, my whole family comes together to celebrate together in having a nice dinner, opening gifts, & having birthday cake! For as long as I can remember, birthdays have been a big deal in our family and we've always celebrated as if we were a king or queen! Even after 32 years this coming September, I still absolutely LOVE my birthday. My parents really wanted to celebrate the life the Lord had given us & boy did they do a good job. The night before our birthday, my daddy would take just us out to have special time with him. As little kids it started as a visit to McDonalds, but as we got older we went to dinner, movies, bowling, etc. I still remember so many of those times with my daddy - especially my 13th birthday in which he took me to get my ears pierced! The day of our birthday was filled with whatever we wanted to eat for each meal. Oh, was that junk food heaven! Marshmellow puffs for breakfast, hoagie sandwiches & chips for lunch, hamburger & fries for dinner. Then my favorite was my "cake" of choice which for me was usually brownies with ice cream & chocolate syrup on top. Lately for me it's banana splits...YUMMY! Anyway, my family made every moment special for me and looking back & still is a very fun day for me.

As we were celebrating my Grandma's birthday last night, with everyone around the table I was so thankful for family. It's such a gift from the Lord and more meaningful to me is that they all know the Lord & serve Him. We weren't quite complete as my dear, brother Abram headed off to college last week, so our hearts were a bit empty & missing him.

I think about traditions and already enjoy passing the birthday celebration tradition on to my own children. Even at our boys young age, my husband takes them out the night before & we make the day of their birthday very special for them. As a mama, I am now filled with joy at seeing the true excitement in their eyes! Have we forgotten life through the eyes of a child?

Family and Traditions...a true blessing. I'm so thankful for my dear family and even more thankful that I'm apart of the family of God. That's the most important tradition and family to be apart of.....

4 comments:

Renee said...

You are such an inspiring woman of God, Earen! I really enjoy reading your blogs, and am blessed by what you share. What a blessing it is for you to have been raised in such a loving Christian family! That's awesome...

And thanks for the suggestion...I think I might suggest that MY husband do the same thing for our girls' birthdays!

Earen said...

Thank you Renee...I feel the same about you!

I'm Tara. said...

What a great idea -- you might have Daddies all over the place gearing up for special birthday outings! Happy Birthday to Grandma and YAY for brownie sundaes!!

Sarah Markley said...

I also really like that idea! What a fun thing both for the dads and the kiddos. And I know my husband would love it too.