Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My First Valentine.....

It wasn't long in life before I knew who my first Valentine was. As he held me in his arms, I was his. I knew my Daddy loved me....

I knew from the moments in his coaching years when he would take me to the gym with him and let me make attempts at dribbling the basketball...thus grew my love for the game....more importantly, thus grew my love for him.

When he would wrestle with my brother and I and tickle us until we were just exhausted...I knew that was love.

I did not have a Valentine in my life until my husband. It became my dream come true. But, as I look back in my life, I always had a Valentine and he was there for me every single moment of my life. For he was the one voice I could hear in the stands as I played athletics..."Come on Earen, you can do it!" "What were you thinking Earen!" "Shake it off, they'll call the foul." And after the games..."Good game Earen...I'm proud of you." He was always proud of me and I knew it.

When all around me at school other girls were getting flowers delivered by our student council, my heart would break inside until one rose was brought my way....a love gift from my Daddy. He remembered me....

My first Valentine has always been there to help pick me up, put his arms around me, show me how to stand my ground, fight for what was mine, make me laugh anytime, and show me unconditional love. I never did anything to earn his love...it was a gift to me.

Now as a 32 year old woman, my heart finds great love for my Daddy. For he walked me down the isle when I got married with tears in his eyes. I watched as he's held he grandsons in his arms for the first time and was there for me the moment I went into labor. He was there for me unexpectedly when our 2nd son had to have a procedure done to unclog a tear duct...because he loved me. He loves me unconditionally now as a grown woman and that love has overflowed from him to now what has become my husband and children.

I respect greatly this man I call Daddy. I love you so very much Daddy. Thank you for so many times that I didn't even mention here of your unconditional love and support to me. Thank you for the amazing sacrifices you've made....Thank you for being my first Valentine. I am honored to be your little girl...I always will be. I love you. For you have shown me what the love of the Heavenly Father is all about.....

9 comments:

Kristen said...

beautiful Earen! what a special dedication to your dad. he sounds like a loving and gentle man.

Unknown said...

Wow! You must be talking about someone else. Thank you Earen that was very sweet of you. Through all the tears, hugs, laughing, and cherished moments you have always been my sweet little girl.

Alana said...

I'm in tears her, Earen. Beautiful tribute to your Dad.

Fran said...

Thats just beautiful Earen. What a blessing to have that sweet, deep love with your earthly daddy.

Happy Vday! Spread the love.
John 13:34

Blessings~
Fran

Denise said...

i hope my children will look at their daddy with such delight and love.
what a treasure you have!

Jenni S. said...

Oh Earen, what a beautiful post. I only hope my girls feel the same about their daddy as they grow. Thanks *so much* for sharing!

His Girl said...

wonderful, beautiful, touching. what a precious gift.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were an athlete! :)

Your story of your dad was wonderful. What a tribute to him and what joy must be in his heart to have a daughter like you!

I bet he's a great grandpa too....

Renee said...

This post really touched me, Earen. How beautiful.