Thursday, February 7, 2008

My name...

I know...can you believe it....TWO posts in 1 day!! Amazing since I've hardly had time to read or post blogs recently....see my prior posting on Simplify! :-)

The other day a woman called for me and called me "Earlene" instead of "Earen." This brought to my memory a blog that my friend Alana had written awhile back about how everyone misprounoucnes her name. It got me thinking, unless I have verbally introduced myself to you all, you might not be saying my name correctly...it's definitely spelled different.

My parents loved the name Erin, but didn't like how is was spelled, so they just changed it up! So, for those of you who have ever so sweetly been saying my name in your mind as "Ear"-en know that you are not alone. I've gotten quite an variation of pronunciations in my years. But you know, I love that my name is different and I always have.

So, were you saying it right in your head?

11 comments:

Kristen said...

YEAH! I have been pronouncing your name correctly :o)

Janelle said...

Funny! I just asked Alana the other day how she pronounced your name. We were both right!

Fran said...

Whew...i'm correct!

Thanks for all the sweet prayers and words of encouragement for our community!! The body of Christ is coming together in a great big glorious God kind of way!! Woohoo!

Blessings~
Fran

Anonymous said...

I'm just sooooo smart!(jokingly arrogant!)

I had it right! :)

I like being different too......

Sittintall said...

I had it right too. I guess I would think it weird if someone did say EAR en. Anyway, we have the same problem with our daughter. I loved the name Kyra, but most people spell it Keira. So, I guess we'll have to keep correcting people and saying that, No, it is not K EYE RA.

Denise said...

i was saying it right. i confess i was a little confused at first.
are you saying my name right. it sounds like "duh-niece" (i am just being silly now).

BethAnne said...

I have to admit that when I first saw your name I thought it might be 'Ear'en. I later figured it out when you commented on Alana's post about names that I was wrong. I am glad that I didnt call you Earlene though!

ocean mommy said...

:) This cracks me up! I know how you feel, my maiden name was always pronounced some strange way.

Alana said...

I was calling you Ear-en in my head before you commented on my name post, but now I've got it right. It never did sound right to me, so I'm glad we've cleared this up ;-)

Joanne@ Blessed... said...

One of my sweetest friends in the blogosphere is named 'Chelle'. I have been pronouncing it in my head like 'Shell'...when it is actually prounounced 'Shelly'!

Thanks for not letting me feel like I was the only silly one out there.

Joanne

p.s. I found you through Fran's blog...

Jenni S. said...

Yay! I was saying it right too. It always cracks me up how people sometimes seem to try to make things difficult when it comes to pronouncing a name. For example, my Anna - one of the nurses in her pediatrician's office always says "Ahhh-na" instead of plain old Anna. We purposfully chose simple first names because our last name is so difficult!!! Sometimes you just can't win! :)