Thursday, May 15, 2008

Believer or Christian

I was watching a clip from American Idol the other day...not sure if it was an old re-run or from the new show, but what I saw really caused me to think.

A young man came in for an audition and Simon Cowell said to him, "I see here that it says you're a believer?" He then proceeded to ask him, "A believer of what?" Of course I knew right away what he meant and I was astounded as I saw this young man lay out Christ & salvation to Simon right before my eyes. And I realized that the term "believer" is really what I prefer when people ask me what my religion is....although I don't like the word "religion" but prefer personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

The main term used today is "I'm a Christian." But this term has become so loosely used by our culture that now people who simply wear crosses around their neck are assumed to be a Christian. Now, I don't want to play judge because only the Lord truly knows one's heart, but WHAT DOES "CHRISTIAN" MEAN TO YOU? Have you realized how many people think they are Christians and yet they are the farthest thing from Christian....just look at the fruit they produce or the lives they live.

Being a Christian means that you're a follower of Christ. Not of this world or anything of it. Being a Christian means that you've prayed and asked Jesus to be your personal Savior and Lord of ALL of your life. Being a Christian means that you follow His path & will for your life and realize that you are His & He is yours. Being a Christian means you've asked the Lord to forgive you of your sins and accept the grace He's given knowing that it's not by our works but by Him alone.

Being a Christian means that you're a believer....Then I hope to get the question, "A believer of what?"

9 comments:

Mari said...

That is really neat - I'm surprised they aired it.

Jenni S. said...

It's interesting because if you say "believer" it is a more intriguing term to a non-believer and may even give you the opportunity to share your testimony. So in that way I can totally see why one might prefer that term. I can also see how the term "Christian" as been dragged through the mud so much that it almost seems to have a negative connotation to the world. Not that one should be concerned with worldy judgements. BUT, it does often shut down a conversation if someone has had a "bad" experience with "Christians."

On the other hand, I actually prefer the term Christian for one simple reason. To me, I see it as adopting Christ's name as my own. In believing in Him, I'm taking on His name and makes me feel all the more that I am a co-heir with Him in the kingdom of Heaven.

What a wonderful discussion topic, though. I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts on it.

Janelle said...

I think you and Jenni said it all. I ditto your thoughts.

Alana said...

I think I still prefer the name Christian for the simple fact that it has our Savior's name in it.

Great thoughts.

Shelley said...

It is sad that so many people use the term Christian lightly. I take it seriously, I am a follower of Christ. Not that I don't falter, or stumble, or even get on the wrong path sometimes...but I always seek my way back to Him. Or maybe sometimes He comes and gets me. I do like the word "believer" but I would always want to clarify. So many people believe in such strange things. I am impressed that they aired that too.

Fran said...

That was gooooood Earen!!

This is wonderful food for thought. I would call myself a Christian who believes in Christ......and then share what that means to me.

Have a great weekend friend!
You always bless me.
Love,
Fran

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed that the young man could answer it coherently. I'm afraid many people would choke!

It is frustrating how many people want to steal our identity as "Christians" and make it something it is NOT. John saw a table at the bookstore the other day with a sign above it that read, "The New Christian." Nothing on that table was orthodox nor defined us in any way. Ugh, it's enough to make you want to knock it over like Jesus at the Temple! :)

But even in the Early Church there was this same problem, gnostics who called themselves Christians and to this day they still haunt us. So I take it that God is over it and above it, still on His throne, using what men mean for evil to our ultimate good. Of course, for so the Bible says! :)

And therein lies our hope.

His Girl said...

hey, I like this... thanks for posting it! I think I'll be using that term from now on....

Sarah Markley said...

That's right Earen. I totally agree with you. Thank you.