Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Detox

This week is not a fun eating week....It's a Detox week. The new eating lifestyle program I began back in the fall was suppose to be started with a 7 day detox, but alas I couldn't do it because I was nursing...much to my relief at the time.

I finished nursing my baby last week so I decided that since I had gotten a little slack on my eating that I would plunge in & detox my body. Clean myself out of the sugar and all the junk. Boy, does it STINK!! ARGG!!

This is only my 2nd day and it's a discipline that I haven't experienced for awhile. Yes, I do feel I've been somewhat disciplined in my eating seeing as I've lost 44lbs, but for the past couple months I've just sat here...exercising, but staying the same because I'm not eating as well. So, I decided it's time to straighten up because I have a good 30 more pounds to go.

And of course as I've been dealing with a dull headache, self control as I've been really missing my coffee, and just a dying to self...I've realized something. Detoxing our bodies of the junk has so many parallels to detoxing our lives and hearts of this world. It's a joy to serve the Lord, but sometimes there are things that just aren't fun and we die to self constantly....it's a discipline. Truly, detoxing our lives of all that is us so that He can be glorified and that our hearts can be purified for Him, just like my body will be purified and rid of the cravings that I know aren't good for me.

What cravings do I need to detox in my spiritual life? What areas am I still serving this world?

So, as I pursue this detox and rid my body of junk and replace it with health, I know that even though it's hard that in the end I'm learning way more of the eternal that I realized...

17 comments:

Mari said...

That sounds really hard but I'm sure you'll feel so much better for doing it. I'm wondering what program you are following - I haven't heard of doing a detox, although it really makes sense.

Kristen said...

You are disciplined to be able to go through the detox - wow! I will be praying for strength for you this week!

I like your analogy of detoxing our bodies and our spiritual lives. It is just so true...definitely gives me something to mediate on this week. Thanks Earen!

You are doing great with your weight loss- I am so proud of you - what an inspiration.

Shelley said...

Mmmm, great analogy. Detoxing is definitely not fun. I pray that you stay strong this week, and that you start feeling the GOOD effects soon!

Lynn said...

The end result will be worth the struggle...both spiritually and with the detox. Congrats on your weight already lost! THAT is a huge accomplishment!

Janelle said...

You can do it! I believe in you. You will feel better soon.

Short Stop said...

It's just awesome that you hear God's voice in just about every cirumstance. I admire that so much about you.

His Girl said...

this kind of blogging goes right to my heart! totally love finding God in everyday life!

Sittintall said...

Oh I've done the detox a few times, and believe me I know the feeling. Those dull headache's are NOT fun. Good analogy too. Just stick with it, it will get better by the 4th day. You're doing great!

Fran said...

Easy for me to say, but in all seriousness and love..."You'll be much better because of it." And, we all know that but it doesn't help that dull headache huh?

Praying for you sweet friend. I'm so proud of you. You are just beautiful.

Hugs~
Fran

Denise said...

i need to go through a spiritual detox!

wow 44lbs, that's great!
may God continue to show himself to you as you continue on this journey. may he provide, sustain, speak truth, and overwhelm you with HIS GREAT LOVE.

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking a lot about self-discipline myself this week. I am not a morning person, and I go in fits and starts all day - cleaning in a flurry, sit down and read for too long, cook like a maniac, take a nap, lesson plan for hours, stay up too late, sleep too late.
Enough already! This girl need some self-control. It's good for the soul, I keep telling myself.

Lets not talk about sugar right now. :) That is another subject altogether. But I did get on the treadmill today. Lets hope it "takes." :)

Hey, BIG congrats on the weight loss! That is awesome. I cannot seem to keep off ten stinking extra pounds. I did so well all winter, felt good, and fell for it again. "Hey! Let's eat!" Lesson learned. I cannot eat everything I want to anymore!! Sigh. Those were the days.

Sarah Markley said...

Keep it up, girl!

joy said...

what a wonderful parallel to think about. hang in there--the detox gets easier. you can do this!

Alana said...

I can't imagine how my body would turn on my if I tried to detoxify. It would be painful, I'm sure. Stay strong, my friend.

Karen Giron said...

Hi Earen - you are almost done and probably feeling amazing! I can't imagine anything more self disciplined than going cold turkey, so I'm proud of you. Let us know how how fabulous you feel on Monday *smiles*

BethAnne said...

Those headaches stink!!! When I go off sugar, not only do I feel bad in general, I am just downright hateful. My other problem is that I dont STAY off sugar - I go right back to it after a short while.

I am glad to be back on the blog ----I missed you my friend!

Jenni S. said...

Wow, Earen, I really needed to hear this tonight. I keep saying I need to "detox" and then keep getting caught up in the stuff of life. Thank you for this reminder.