Monday, January 21, 2008

6:30 AM & Food Menu

It's 6:30 am and all is quiet in my home, except for the sounds of my Levi crying. He's hungry and ready to start the day...but I'm not. I drag myself out of bed and sit in the quiet as I nurse my little love. I'm so tired....but I remember that God is my strength and the Holy Spirit helps me in my weaknesses & I'm kind of weak from being tired right now....just a season in my life.

Levi is almost 8 months old and the time nursing him is very much cherished to me. It has gone fast, every moment has gone fast. To think that probably in a very short few months I will be completely done nursing. A little sad for me, but also a little more freeing for me....another step towards his independence.

So I sit in the quiet with him as he sits here in his highchair eating cheerios, and babbling away. It's a sweet time for him & I...one that will pass quickly. So, I cherish the moment. Forgetting that I'm tired and loving the little boy.

Now, to completely change the subject... Bethanne at Waiting for the Shout! asked me what a daily meal plan looks like for me. She also asked for a before & after picture, but I'm going to wait a little bit longer for when I've lost more & you can really tell the difference!

** Before I eat I do take some vitamins & then drink lemon water - water that's at room temperature. Drinking lemon water before eating in the morning really helps clear anything else out in your system that maybe didn't all digest from the day before!

Breakfast: Grapefruit or Orange....some mornings I scramble an egg & have a couple slices of turkey bacon. Some mornings I might do a fruit, a few raw almonds, and string cheese.

Snack: Usually, plain nonfat yogurt with a little bit of grape jelly in it & some Kashi cereal.

Lunch: My favorite lunch I have a lot is a salad. We know that Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value, so I get really green, leafy lettuce. I often will cook a chicken breast & cut that up on it or some deli turkey (natural), or cook some more turkey bacon. Then I chop some walnuts, slice apples, & top with Parmesan cheese & balsamic vinaigrette dressing. If I don't want to do all that I will have a veggie burger topped with avocado and a small salad or sweet potato fries I make myself. By the way ladies, did you know that yams have a natural form of estrogen that helps women with some of our "womanly" issues we have??? Just a little tip!

Snack: Fruit or string cheese. Sometimes I have a coffee

Dinner: Dinner really varies, but something we have often is fajitas in which I eat without the tortilla. Or I'll just cook some chicken, fix some red, yellow, or orange peppers with onion, open a can of black beans, add a little salsa & tiny bit of sour cream...Yummy! Sometimes I add a fruit.

Later I might have a coffee if I didn't have one earlier.

So, that's what a typical day looks like. I eat low glycemic foods...lower in sugar. Like when I eat a banana, I eat one that is more green because the more ripe it becomes the higher glycemic level & has more sugar. I stay away from all "white" foods...meaning no breads (until later & only a real high fiber bread), potatoes, rice, crackers, chips (which a lot have bad stuff in them anyway, except I do eat some corn chips), most cereal, etc. Also, I'm really reading labels. Check out the labels in your home...partially hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, red, yellow, blue coloring, aspartame...all of these things so VERY bad for you! Ok, I'll stop preaching! :-) ALSO...this is HUGE for me...exercise!! I do interval training on my treadmill 3-4 times a week & weight training 2 times.

Thank you for allowing me to share! Have a great day blogging friends!!

11 comments:

Short Stop said...

WOW! Thank you for sharing that. As I attempt to lose the post-baby weight later on, this will be a great reminder to me of really good things to do/watch out for! THANK YOU for sharing your success "secrets"!

Mari said...

Hi,
I found your blog through Bethanne's blog. I am encouraged by your weight loss!!! That is awesome. I am pregnant right now and this is my fourth so I am all to familiar with weight gain. I gained 80 pounds my first pregnancy and still have 50pounds (before I got pregnant) that haven't come off. I do not want to gain a ridiculous amount of weight this time....I am trying. Any way I will be checking in with your blog to keep up with your success.
A sister in Christ,
Mari

Kristen said...

Thanks for sharing all your tips. I did not know about adding lemon to water in the morning. I am going to try that tomorrow.

Oh those sweet days of nursing the babe! My time with Mauryn went by far too quickly as well. It is bittersweet because the babies grow up but it is nice to have the freedom. Enjoy this time with Levi!

Alana said...

Thanks for sharing that, Earen. Great tips. I like the lemon water idea as well. I always start the morning off with water, but usually it is cold and without lemon.

I am so impressed with anyone who can give up sugar!

Janelle said...

Nursing is such a sweet time. One of my favorite motherhood moments have been spent rocking and nursing my babies. Precious!

Thanks for sharing your tips!

joy said...

sometimes don't you just wish they could stay babies forever? i, too, cherish nursing my baby and part of me will be sad when she is weaned. good for you for changing the way you eat. once the baby is weaned, i'm going to do the south beach diet again--i love eating that way and i kind of do that now. i've just learned from experience that i need some extra weight for milk production; if i start trying to lose it too soon, i lose my milk. so...

NYC said...

I can't believe how many adorable children there are across the country; your children are so cute!

BethAnne said...

Thanks! Although I really did want to see a picture! But I am okay with waiting.
I have to put the kids in bed now, but I am defnitely coming back to read over this again. Sounds like a Mediterranean diet a little bit?
Anyway, whatever it is called, it is working for you and I need to learn more about it!
Thanks, friend.

Anonymous said...

Did you notice any effects with nursing? What is your daily caloric intake?

I've never been one to watch what I eat, but 7 babies later I've got a few pounds that I want to lose. (20 to be exact) But since this will be my first time, I want to wait until Baby M is eating some solids. (I don't start that until they break their first tooth which varies from 6-9 months)

I'm a fan of lemon water---that's the only way I can drink it!

Sarah Markley said...

Great way to eat, Earen. I've been following the Weight Watchers Core Plan lately, which, really just is sensible eating. Fruit, vegetables, lean meat and nonfat dairy, no real bread or sugar, but things like brown rice are good. Its made me feel really great inside. I like your lemon water idea. =)

dawn said...

Earen,

Do you mind if I send you an invitation to our recipe blog? I would love for you to post some of your healthy recipes.

How can we exchange email addresses?