Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The depth of His love....

So, I took my oldest son, Caleb in to the doctor today for his 5 year check up. We weren't quite prepared for the few shots he had to get...I've never taken a 5 year old to the doctor before. As I sat there holding my son in my lap and holding his hands in mine, my heart ached at the pain the shots caused him. One shot...no tears. Second shot....the crying begins. Third shot....the crying level raises a notch. (He had to get 3 shots because we've opted to not give him one of the vaccines, so they have to separate them.)

I'm his Mama.....I don't desire ever for my children to be in pain. I was a voluntary participant in the process of his shots. Holding his hands in mine so he wouldn't resist. What I found next was my trying to lovingly hold & comfort him while sharing with him that the pain really is for the best. That we opt to have these shots so that he doesn't get real sick due to other factors...we are trying to prevent & unfortunately that involves a moment of pain.

The Lord allows pain in our life...sometimes it's just a moment of it in order for our own protection later on down the road. He lovingly holds and comforts us knowing full well that it's all for our own good. The pain isn't pleasant nor fun, yet it refines & molds us into who the Lord wants us to be...knowing that at the end of this journey we will be more like Christ.

Can you imagine Mary, the mother of Jesus and what her heart went through to watch her Son die for us....Can you imagine God the Father watching & giving His Son's life for us? The greatest sacrifice ever. The pain Jesus went through for us was life giving. It was excruciating for Christ and yet He was willing to go through the "brief" pain for us...knowing that He would be giving us a path to eternal life.

It's not fun to watch your children have pain, but it's sometimes necessary because I love them so very dearly. God loved His Son so dearly that He gave him up for us. Can you imagine that depth of love.....and it's for you.

10 comments:

His Girl said...

Oh how I hate kindergarten shots!!!! I asked my doctor why they can't just mix them all together to make one injection. He just laughed. Seems so cruel.

But you're right... even in the nastiness of shots there is a picture for us of how much God loves us. Thanks for the reminder :)

Janelle said...

Isn't is awesome how we can find word pictures in our daily lives in reference to God's love for us? This was a great one.

I hope your son feels better. I know it is hard to watch our children experience pain. It hurts our hearts!

Anonymous said...

What a great analogy.

I am grateful that the Lord knows just "how much" pain or pressure before we break.

It's all part of that childlike faith ----trusting Him because He is good!

Fran said...

What a great post. Thanks so much for a great analogy. The depth of His love is just too much to get our minds around sometimes. He is completely amazing.

Love,
Fran

dawn said...

Thanks for sharing this story. What a great word picture.

I would love to hear more about your thoughts on vaccinations and why you are separating them. This has been a thought I have had as well.

Would you consider writing about that?

Renee said...

This was beautiful, Earen. Your heart is just so sweet.

What a great analogy. God knows what is best for us, even though we might not understand it at the time. He always has our best interest in mind.

I hope Caleb is healthy and that he's recovered from his shots!! Love you!

Kristen said...

I agree Earen - great analogy. We sometimes have to go through those painful times to come out better in the end. We have to trust in God's plan!

BethAnne said...

I cannot imagine what it was like for God to allow Jesus to go through all that pain for a bunch of evil people like us. It is beyond all comprehension, but I am so thankful He did!

Alana said...

Shots are the worst! Each time it just breaks my heart.

As a mother, I think of Mary a lot in relation to the Crucifixion. I remember the scene in The Passion where Mary flashbacks to when Jesus is a child as he is carrying the cross. One of the most poignant parts of the film for me.

joy said...

what a beautiful reminder of Christ's love for us.