Friday, January 11, 2008

Character transforming....

"Character transformation, though dependent on grace, and God's empowerment, require a lot of hard work, vigilant oversight, rigorous thought, self-discipline, and a life marked by repentance. It also entails surrendering to a God who is more concerned with our character than with our comfort. Don't make a hassle-free life your primary pursuit; instead, listen to God to discern how he is using these interruptions to cleanse your soul and purify your attitudes."

This is a nugget of gold that was shared with me by my mom. (Thank you Mama!) This statement couldn't be talking more directly to me if I happen to be the only one in the room!!

I've needed a character transformation. I've had a flaw in mine...lack of contentment, joy, & rest in Christ. How did this happen? I look back over my life & see that I have gone through these cycles of finding my joy in circumstances & frustrated with how to change that & now...I need a character transformation. This flaw doesn't come from the Lord...He's not a God of discontentment...He's not a God of lack-ness of joy.

I've been looking for the easy way out. I've been setting up my life to be surrounded by busyness, activities, and stuff...that's what I've based my contentment & joy on. I've missed needing to allow the Lord to transform my character rather than thinking He's concerned with my comfort. I've tried to make sure everything is hassle proof and life is easy, but what sweet moments of purification have I missed? I've just missed Him.

If life was easy and hassle free, why would I really need the Lord. It's not like I desire struggle, but I find I learn more in the Lord through those times.

So, I'm flawed and needing a character transformation....I'm grateful for His love, His love that is deep enough for me to shine a light in a dark corner of my heart....His love that cradles me in His arms and draws me near to Him despite my flaws.

9 comments:

Janelle said...

"It also entails surrendering to a God who is more concerned with our character than with our comfort."

I don't know how many times I have said that to my children. Your mom is one wise woman!

Thank you for sharing this struggle. I know your journey will be blessed.

BethAnne said...

I could write for days about why this post is for me today. You stepped on my toes - thanks!

joy said...

hello, earen. thanks for stopping by my blog. you have a beautiful family! i totally relate to your previous blog--my husband is a teacher, too and he goes back to work on monday and i feel the same way. and your blog today was very encouraging--i also struggle with contentment. i always have! and you'd think by now that i'd learn that it's supposed to point me to the Lord. sigh. i'm a slow learner. i'm adding you to my list of blogs.

Anonymous said...

Those are some wise words from your mom and also you, Earen. Sometimes it scares me when I ask the Lord to refine me and give me character----but you are so right.

I love the new family picture on your sidebar. :)

Unknown said...

The Lord convicted me of many things from the book Beautiful Fight that I was reading and when I looked up the Scripture concerning what he was sharing it became very alive a double edged sword, piercing the heart and soul. This morning as I thought more about it the scripture Matthew 11:28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light. Today I could picture putting on that yoke and turning, stopping, Looking right or left or down as Jesus did the leading just resting into that yoke and suddenly the burdens seemed so much easier.Rest!mama

Alana said...

Well, that's the truth if I ever heard it. It seems like it has taken me my whole life to realize this, I just hope it doesn't take the rest of my life for me to start putting it into practice!

Short Stop said...

This is SO me, Earen. THANK YOU for sharing this so honestly...I love how you worded it and it spoke right to my heart!

Renee said...

I love this...
the sentence about a God who is more concerned with our character than our comfort is a direct hit. One of those truths that is wonderful, yet painful at the same time.

I too desire contentment in Him, and character building from Him.

Thank you for this post, Earen. Once again, your encouragement has blessed me!

Kristen said...

I love the new picture of your beautiful family on your sidebar!

Once again, I am encouraged and blessed by your words. You have struck a cord in my heart today. As you stated God is more concerned about my character- and mine needs some refining. Thankfully, He is there to teach and guide.

Thanks for your words, honesty and sharing your heart!