Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Candy Machine....

It's everyone's downfall. You see it...you walk towards it....with every step closer the battle begins, mainly in your head. There you see it, with glowing colors around it as you see the heavenly lights from above shining its' rays upon it. Your mouth is salivating....your stomach is saying yes, your brain is saying no, and there's everything within your power to not reach your hand in your purse or pocket to grab the money to purchase it....that's right...It's a candy machine.

There awaits your favorite candy - sitting there calling your name. And again, the battle begins. Should I, shouldn't I....I know I shouldn't, but I really want it. Is my will power going to win out or am I too weak. So often, I personally am too weak...are you?

We all have those "candy machines" in our lives. Those things that cause a battle in our mind. It's so intense that there's only one thing that help us through it & that's the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 8:26 says, "Likewise the Spirit also helps us in our weaknesses."

Food causes that intense battle in my mind. And not only food, but choosing junk food over healthy. It's not like I'm standing in the store with the intense battle to stay away from the produce & then once I'm too weak to stand & am draw to that section I say, "Should I have an orange, shouldn't I have an orange." It's the "bad" food...the junk.

What junk is drawing us away from Christ? We think we want it & then we're sick not only physically but also mentally feeling a sense of failure. This world has a powerful draw. It's not a draw from Christ...it's a draw into sin. We think we can stand against it but, it continually pulls us in & we try & battle it. Sometimes we're strong & sometimes we're not. Praise the Lord for His forgiveness & grace.

The Holy Spirit resides in me because I've given my life to the Creator of the Universe...the Lord Jesus Christ. When I accepted Christ into my heart the Holy Spirit filled me and His power resides in me. I am NOT God, but He's given me the power only through His strength to fight against these "candy machines" in my life. The Holy Spirit is my helper...He helps me during the storm, He helps me understand the deep things of the Word, He convicts me of sin in my life, He helps me in my weaknesses, and He gives me power to resist the things of this world.

The battle...it will rage on every day. The only way we can escape it is in Christ....sometimes we must face it & only the power of the Holy Spirit can help us. The joy comes on the other side when we put our money back in our purse, pass the candy machine and find victory in Christ. Being strong in the power of His might....All glory be to my Savior!!

11 comments:

BethAnne said...

Girl, you dont know how many candy machines are in my life! The sad thing is that the worst one is the actual candy machine! (Well, the chips and dip machine)

Be sure and check out my comment on your last post! ;-)

Denise said...

I too have many candy machines in my life. I'm tired of fighting. I think I just stand there dumbfounded, staring at the candy machine, staring at the wallet, staring at moving past it. All I can do is stand.
Hmmm.
Great post.

dawn said...

I love your writing. AND you are not alone. We all struggle with these darned candy machines in our lives.

Jenni S. said...

What a wonderful analogy - thank you for sharing. Your message really touched me where I was today.

joy said...

i love the image of the candy machine. thanks for sharing your spiritual insight. it's convicting and encouraging!

Kristen said...

Great analogy Earen! Why does the candy have to be so tempting?? Why can't the good stuff be an easier choice?? It is so hard to fight that temptation. I am so thankful for a patient, gracious, forgiving, and merciful God. Wonderful words today!

Anonymous said...

Preach it girl!

How true your words were today. My problem is not candy per se, but I've got a vending machine that I go to when I should be going to Christ! What a beautiful analogy of our relationship with Him!

Unknown said...

This quote was on our pastor's notes today. "There are two kinds of people: Those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, "All right have it your way." C.S.Lewis Pastor said too many times I have it my own way. Makes me kind of gulp knowing that often happens to me, my way, and you know what happens to our children when we are trying to train them or show them what we know is best, but they go ahead and do it their way, we have to discipline them for their own good. Just like we do in so many of our own decisions. And we have to go through discipline.

Alana said...

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

2 Corinthians 12:9

Great post!!

Anonymous said...

Just gave you 2 awards!

Janelle said...

Great word picture. One we can all relate with.

Thankfully, God meets us where we are.