Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Power of a Mama's words....

Submitting to joy is a mindset.......

I woke up a morning last week & the day was going downhill real fast & it was only 8am. Frustration had begun to set in & I was ready to quit. I decided to not let myself go down the path of moaning & frustration and said out loud, "Kids, this is going to be a great day! I choose joy and our day is going to be filled with the peace of the Lord...it's going to be great." I felt an immediate burden lifted and a change of attitude for myself. Little did I realize the power of my words and how closely my children were listening to me. A few moments later I told my oldest son that he couldn't have something he had asked for. I was waiting...waiting for the whining while saying, "why not Mama"....or just plain whining. It began to come out of his mouth & in an instant instead out of his mouth came the words, "Yes, Mama." I immediately praised him for his great response and non-whining attitude. The following statement he made hit me hard & showed me the power of words.....

"That's right Mama...I didn't whine because today is going to be a great day with joy."

The power of a Mama's words - it changed my child's attitude as well. We set the tone...we determine our attitude....Our kids are listening. They watch, they observe, they understand.....I guess I didn't always realize the power my own change of attitude and words can have in setting the tone for my children....It's more powerful than we realize. So, I step back in my child's misbehaving and ask, Could the actual problem be at times, me? My own words, my own attitude...and my kids follow....Convicting.

15 comments:

Kristen said...

AMEN! I am convicted - and tearing up as I read this because how often am I the problem, how often is it my attitude. Thank you for this post today Earen! Attitude is everything! I am going to choose the joy, the patience, the understanding. Wonderful words that I am taking to heart.

Alana said...

What a great reminder for me today. I'm sorry to say I did not follow this example today with my children. Thanks for sharing this testimony, friend! I needed it!

His Girl said...

ooooh. great post!

Unknown said...

Praise the Lord Earen, when you hear the Holy Spirit teaching you and you obey. One of my favorite verses, let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you oh Lord. You know Earen, Jill even picks up on the meditation of my heart and mind, I may control my tongue but she picks up on what is going on in my heart and my mind what is happening in my spirit. May the Holy Spirit fill you to over flowing this morning!

BethAnne said...

Thanks - I needed that!

Jenni S. said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing that. I definitely needed it today. What a great example you are for your kids!

Denise said...

Have you ever read any John Elderedge (Wild at Heart and many others)?
In one of his books he talks about "making agreements," basically meaning we have make agreements with ourselves and satan. And that we need to break those agreements.
That is what you did, you broke the agreement that this particular day was doomed, and took it back and stated what it would be.
Wonderful! WONDERFUL!
I have worked on breaking many agreements I have made (big ugly agreements that affect what I believe about myself), but I see in your post that I need to be aware of the little agreements I make everyday.

I just said a lot!

dawn said...

Words are powerful.
So is leading by example!

Mari said...

Amen....my son was in James 3:3ff today. God is surely trying to tell me something...You are absolutly right, our attitudes start with a choice a word. Our children are watching and learning from us...this was a convicting post. Thanks...
Mari

Janelle said...

I am sitting here reading this in the midst of homework troubles. I have been feeling anger take hold of me. God must have directed me to this post. I need to change so that my kids can change.

Thanks, Earen!

Anonymous said...

Aren't kids great?

Way to go Caleb! And what a great example by you too Earen!

Truth said...

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue" Such a simple thing, but so powerful.

Renee said...

Just so you know...I'm reading this early in the morning, and I just announced to my girls that today would be a day of joy and peace in the Lord. You're right...my heart already feels lighter.

There is such truth in this post. This is something the Lord has been working on with me lately...how much my attitude, my heart, and my words affect those around me. When I really choose joy, I have more peace, and so do my kids.

I am always blessed and challenged when I read your blog, Earen. I love you!

I'm Tara. said...

I'm so doing this today, Earen. What a wonderful Mommy you are -- as well as a friend, and a light of Christ in the world. Thank you for sharing such powerful thoughts and words with us today!! Hugs and love -- ring me up, friend.

Sarah Markley said...

A great day with joy - write that on a poster and put it on your wall! I LOVE it. Kids say things better than adults sometimes. =)