Thursday, October 4, 2007

Getting tough!

I'm the first born child in my family & with that comes my stronger personality type. It comes with the territory.....yet in that there's also this worry about hurting some-one's feelings or offending. I'm finding though that as I get older I am able to speak my mind a bit more & not worry so much about offending. Of course I do it respectfully & out of kindness, but you know...not letting people run over you. I not only think that age has helped this progression, but the fact that I now have children & being able to speak up for them because they really can't right now. "Mama Bear" rises up every now & again at others not thinking my children are amazing humans & yet my boys definitely have their "work in progress" challenges.

I've decided at this point I believe I have 2 first-born children. Caleb, my oldest has always been a bigger boy. He's very tall for his age & was always in the 90% on all the charts. Benjamin on the other hand has always been smaller. Barely on the charts for weight & just has never been a huge eater....must get that from Dad, because goodness knows I love to eat! :-) But, it amazes me how Benjamin can carry his own with Caleb & at times it's Benjamin who comes out on top. I do though think it's Caleb trying to be obedient to us in not hitting his brother & sometimes it appears that Ben is winning, when in fact Caleb is just obeying. But, at times I stand back & watch as they put their arms around each other & this glimmer of brotherly love appears & I treasure that in my heart.

Then we had Levi....as far as I can tell (not sure you can tell tons at 4mo.) he's going to be my mellow boy yet resemble Caleb in size. Eats well, sleeps well, gets 2 teeth without my even realizing it...you know, an extremely easy baby. Thank you Lord!! So, in getting back to my beginning opening of "speaking my mind"...yesterday was Levi's 4 month doctor's appointment. And we love our pediatrician, but they have a new nurse there & she's really cold. Caleb asks what she's doing & she says, "It's a vaccination ." Like a 4 1/2 yr old understands that! Come on lady! So, I proceed to explain it to him. We've made a decision to not give our children the Hepatitis B shot until they get older & this nurse proceeded to tell me I couldn't do that in which I proceeded to inform her..."oh yes you can...I have 2 older boys to prove it!" I walked out of there proud of myself. Not that I was rude, because I wasn't but that I spoke my mind & didn't just go with things at the risk of offending. So, I must be getting older...maybe it comes with being in my 30's or maybe it comes with the Mama territory - but what I do know is that I'm ready to take on this world for the sake of loving my boys.

Oh, by the way...I was RIGHT about the shots...ha, ha, nurse...you were wrong! - Goodness, did I type that out loud?! HA! And Levi weighs 15lbs 12.5oz & is 26in. long!

5 comments:

I'm Tara. said...

Good for you, Earen! It's amazing how these things take so much time and so many birthdays to slowly creep out of us. Assertiveness does not come naturally to many of us, I'm afraid.

And look at your big boy, growing like a weed!! I can't wait to see him tomorrow!!

Alana said...

I'm proud of you! I am REALLY bad at being assertive unless you really get my goat. I am getting better as I get older, but it is HARD.

Sarah Markley said...

You go girl!

BethAnne said...

That nurse should know you dont mess with mommies! And you are right about being in your thirties and speaking your mind. I have never had a problem saying what I think (which is not always a good thing). But my sister was always kind of meek until she got to be about 36 (she is 40 now) and it was like her tongue was loosened and she just says what she thinks. Its kind of funny at times.

Renee said...

Yay, Earen!!

That's great. It is funny how our kids cause our 'Mama Bears' to come out. :)

Can't wait to hear about your first day back at MOPS!