Monday, October 22, 2007

Mini-Me Monday

I've said it once & I'll say it again...is it already Monday again? The weeks are flying by with extreme intensity! I like how Sarah puts it in her blog...the days are long, but the years are short. It's so very true.

Ok, so on to business....I'm sure you've all been waiting with high anticipation for the Mini-Me Monday report...OR you could just be getting sick & tired of hearing of my weight loss journey. I know sometimes I personally am tired of hearing my own thoughts on this matter...anyway....

Last Monday night I mentioned that I was going back to LA Weight Loss and I did...only to step on that scale & see my highest weight ever (expect with my first pregnancy). So, I pushed through the major disappointment in myself & decided to change my attitude, look into reality & begin again! That lasted until Wednesday lunch time when I found myself upset that I was having to sit down & so carefully plan my meal. I threw my own version of a fit to my husband who was home for his lunch break. "I don't want to do this, why do "I" have to be so careful about everything I eat, why do I have to plan, it's just not fair!" After I said those things, I was done and haven't had an adult fit since. What helped to subside those fits was that as of this morning when I went to weigh in, I've lost 7.6 pounds!!!!!!! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!! I was thrilled! This plan is working & I feel like I'm eating so healthy. Here's what an average day of eating looks like for me:

4 proteins (about 4oz per protein)
4 vegetables (1 cup per veggie)
3 fruits
5 starches (A lot of whole wheat breads, brown rice, kashi, etc.)
3 dairy (Milk, yogurt, cheese)
3 fats (Avocado - my favorite, olive oil, safflower oil, almonds, etc.)
At least 64oz of water a day.

Here's the thing I love about this program too...I've not exercised at all. Now, don't get me wrong...I know exercise is really good for you, but I'm taking baby steps & definitely want to get to that point too.

So, I felt even more proud of myself this go around because of the fact that I feel my mind set is more towards being healthy & the weight loss is an added bonus. Part of the LA Weight Loss program is that they like you (don't force you) to eat at least 2 of their LA Lites a day. I had been enjoying their chocolate bars until I looked at the ingredients...high fructose corn syrup, sugar, hydrogenated oils...terrible, terrible stuff for your body! Ironic isn't it - that a company that is having me eat so healthy then asks me to eat these bars! So, I've been educating myself...talking with anutritionist friend, listening to Dr. Oz on Oprah...realizing how careful we need to be about ingredients that we put into our bodies. So, I told them that I wouldn't be eating the bars, nor would I be eating any of their other options for LA Lites. They were AWESOME about it & listened to what I had to say without even arguing with me & then really worked on a compromise as to getting compensated for the bulk bars I'd already paid for over a year ago. I appreciated this so much. So, I felt mature...older...wiser....and I was proud. Proud that I stood up for myself & my health which in turn affects my whole family.

On that note, since I don't get the protein in the bars I was eating and am not eating anymore of their LA Lites, I get more food to ensure that I'm getting enough protein, etc. So, here's what the plan looks like now.

4 1/2 proteins
4 veggies
4 fruits
6 starches (hallelujah!)
5 dairy
3 fats

Honestly, some days it appears as if I'm eating all day! In the "dieting community" I feel it's such a myth that we eat less in order to lose weight, when in fact we need to eat more healthy foods. I've heard this analogy, we are a fire. We need more wood (food) put on the fire (us) to keep it burning...to keep our metabolism going. As long as it's good, healthy food. So, I'm interested to see if adding more food allows me to still continue losing weight - but nursing sure does help!

So, I'm thankful & I've learned a lot this week. Not just about getting back into the discipline of it all, but about myself & the confidence in knowing that I'm in charge of me - ok, the Lord is in charge of me, but you know what I mean. HOORAY!!!...until next week.

10 comments:

Denise said...

Hooray! I am glad you are seeing progress. Sounds like you have lots of yummy options.
I have had to change what I eat because of a medical problem I have. I have had to cut out acidic foods, and a lot of preservatives. This cuts out a lot of tasty favorites. I went through a mourning period over those foods. However I have gotten creative and I recognize there are a lot of things I CAN eat.

Short Stop said...

Earen!! That's so awesome! Congratulations! Wow...you must have felt SO good at your weigh in! Keep up the good work friend, and those pounds will come right off! :)

I'm Tara. said...

Yay for you!!!! I'm so excited for you, Earen!! High five, Momma!!!

Sittintall said...

WOW! Way to go girl! That is a great accomplishment. You definitely deserve an atta girl. Hope you keep up with the plan. 7.6 pounds, that is amazing!

Renee said...

Give me an E! Give me an A! Give me a R! E! N! GOOOOOOOOOOOOO Earen!!

That's awesome. I'm so proud of you, inspired by you, and motivated by you!!

Good for you, sticking to your plan. For moving past your fit (I throw them too!), and trying to be healthy. You are doing soooo good, and it's so cool to share this journey with you!!

Woo-hoo!

Renee said...

Oh, and good job on standing up for yourself at LAWL!! I would have a hard time doing that, but if I DID, I know I would feel grown up too. :)

BethAnne said...

Yay Earen!!! I gotta get in gear - see my comment on Tara's blog - can you eat ANY starch or are there certain ones you have to eat? I think I told you that i have a friend who lost a ton at LA weight loss and she has kept it off for 2 years. Keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Earen! And no, we don't get tired hearing about your weight loss journey. That's what we are here for----to encourage you! I hope I can be a source of encouragement to you and Tara as you travel this journey!

Kristen said...

Hi Earen! I hope you don't mind my visiting your blog. I found you through comments you have left on Denise and Sarah's blogs. WAY TO GO on the weigh in this week. YIPEE! It is so nice to feel those successes. Keep up the hard work and diligence.

Mr. and Mrs. D said...

Yippee! I understand your elation, and you have every right to feel like you are on Cloud 9!

I also loved how you described the fit you threw. I throw those about having to watch everything myself. Unfortunately, lately I haven't been watching very carefully. Your good report is an encouragement to me. Thanks!