Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Overload

I'm overwhelmed...my mind...senses in me that are causing me to not accomplish simple things in my home because I have so much to do! What I'm finding is that the things that "need" to be done are being put to the way side by things that I "want" to do...like blogging and email. As you've probably noticed, I haven't blogged as consistently as I used to. My days are so incredible full and I don't even really go anywhere. Last night at 7pm I was vaccuming my home....shouldn't I be resting by this point in the day?...No, I rest at 8:30pm.

I know the Lord didn't intend for my life or heart to feel this way. I'm stressed, overwhelmed, & by what...my own personal "wants"....it's self-inflicted! My new blogging friend Short Stop challenged me yesterday with her thoughts while we were g-chatting. She spoke to my heart in that she tries to only blog or be on the computer when her kids are resting or down for the evening. I need to do that. I'm guilty of sometimes popping in Sesame Street (or what I like to call "homeschooling" ha!) and opening up this machine...what kind of mom have I become..replacing hardware for flesh & blood. It's hard though, I love blogging...but not in place of them....never!

So, you might not see my blog as often because I'll be with my boys or actually accomplishing things in my home. You might not hear a comment from me as much, but I'm still reading & haven't forgotten you my blogging friends. But this is my new goal.

8 comments:

Renee said...

I appreciate you so much, Earen!! I appreciate your honesty. Your vulnerability. Your genuineness. And your fierce love for the Lord, and your children.

This whole blogging thing can really be addictive. I've noticed that some days I stop by the computer to check my e-mail or check blogs. This is usually accompanied by a "Not right now, sweetheart", or a "just a few more minutes". But you're right....this is sad. My kids are the most important thing to me. My actions should reflect that.

Thanks for the challenge. I too am going to try to only check online while the kids are napping, or in bed at night.

Sittintall said...

I am on the same page with Renee. I go in spurts, but I have definitely become addicted to the blogging thing and have found myself telling my kids to hold on a couple more minutes and putting them in front of sesame street. I feel guilt too. I think I will try the same thing as short stop and only do it when they are resting or away. It will be hard, but my kids need it (and I do too).

Kristen said...

I appreciate your honesty Earen! I have the same issue with blogging or email - just thinking it will take a few minutes and then it consumes a half an hour or more time from my kiddos. I know it is selfish on my part. The blogging and email are my connection to other moms, friends, and family. Thanks for your blog today! I need to set limits on when I can blog and stick to them - an act of discipline.

Anonymous said...

It's a good goal. This is a season----they grow so quickly and so fast. Trust me, I have been separated from my family for 2 weeks and I would LOVE to be home. I have thoroughly enjoyed having my little ones here with me. There is no greater calling for us moms. You have beautiful boys to raise for His kingdom!
Persevere, my friend, persevere. You are a great mom and blog friend!

I'm Tara. said...

I'll support you, Earen. Moving my computer upstairs has been the best thing to curb that. We pretty much LIVE downstairs, so really - it's solved my problem for me. I feel like I've found a good balance -- I hope that you can find the same.

Overload -- btw -- I can so relate to that one.

BethAnne said...

I struggle with the same thing! I daresay alot of the people reading these blogs do too. I think that sometimes as stay-at-home moms we desire adult fellowship and conversation so much we put everything aside to get it. Does that make sense? Staying at home is such a gift for us all, but aside from being known as mommy we also like to be known as friend. I think that staying at home gives us a sense of responsibility that everything in our home needs to be perfect because we dont work outside the house. It makes us stay at home more because we want to be perfect mommy homemakers and we cant do that when we are always with our friends - so what better way to have it both ways than to blog right from home? I hate to sound worldly, but staying at home instead of working means that we lose a little bit of our 'professional' selves and dont we all long to be important and relevant (to others and to what is going on in the world)? The difference in working and staying at home is that when you work, you are important to people you work with AND your family - when we stay home we are important to many people, but mostly our family.

I have been thinking alot about this lately and I think you are so right in your decision to cut back on the blogging thing - Thanks for calling me out on this one! I am with ya girl.........My children dont nap anymore, but I am going to try to limit my internet time to less than one hour per day --- which means my blog posts will have to be well thought out and my email responses will become much shorter. In light of eternity, our emails wont matter, but how we raise our kids - that matters ALOT!!! Thank you, sweet friend!

Short Stop said...

I'm glad we're in this together! Keep encouraging me...I need it! :)

Denise said...

yeah i too have had to back off a bit. i realized i was 72% addicted, yikes!
this week the computer has been in the shop for repairs (just got it back and hooked it up), i was going through withdrawals! at one point i got the neighbors key, went over to their house to post... i'm pathetic!
i may need to go to bloggersaholics anonymous (do you think they will offer it after my pharisee recovery class??)