Wednesday, October 10, 2007

I don't want to....

A few weeks ago on a Saturday morning, we decided to load up the family & go to our local outside shopping mall where they have a farmer's market every weekend. I love going there to check out the great produce & kettle corn (ha!), while observing all the people. This particular weekend they were having a 1st annual 5K just around the shopping center. Which in my opinion made it even more fun because there were a lot more people along with free food! What really stuck out to me was the amazing shape these runners looked in & I found myself embarrassed. "Look at the girl who's not in shape!" "Look at the girl who could use a good jog!..as I'm stuffing my mouth with the free pizza rolls from Old Chicago. And here's the thing..as hard as it was & as embarrassed as I felt, it's the truth. The truth does sometimes hurt, but it was a good wake up call for me of what I desire.

I read Sarah's posting on marathon running & our fear connected with it. I'm not sure that I actually have fear in the running aspect (although I do have a serious fear of her other options), but I think the fear for me comes in the "giving up" of myself & what I want, to be disciplined in getting ready for it. You see, not only would it require me to train, but I'd have to lose a lot of weight before even feeling like I could run again and even begin the training process. Although the starting of exercise would facilitate a body that would drop pounds, I just don't want to have to stop doing "what I want to." Maybe in that though is some fear. I'm afraid I'll never be able to eat the food I want to again. That's what I'm afraid of. I'll be sentenced to a life of carrots & broccoli. Even though I feel in my heart that I want to eat healthy & exercise, I don't want to. It's too hard! I'm really not afraid of failure or not being able to do it, I just don't want to....there you go, the ugly, honest truth. But really, what discipline do we really "want" to do..really....especially at first. Once I start the process, then I start enjoying it more but that doesn't mean it still isn't hard.

Here's the thing...once I do start the process of being disciplined in any area of my life, it might stink & be hard for awhile but in that difficulty an amazing thing starts happening...I feel better! I feel better about my life, my health, my walk with the Lord, whatever it might be. So, why is it that we stall in doing what we know we need to do? Pride...I just don't want to...my way is best. And once again I realize that my pride & control get in the way of God wanting to do a work in me.

So, my goal next year is to RUN the local 5K. Maybe someday I'll do a marathon because in my heart I'd love to do it - now if I can just get disciplined. The Lord is forever working in my life & I'm grateful.

9 comments:

sheri walz said...

Your right excersize it will very likely will enhance your "walk with the lord", our body is the temple of the holy spirit 1 Corinthians 3:17 "...for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are"
John 10:10 "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." Good health or me being as physically fit as I can be as healthy as I can be, w/energy in the day kind of life I believe christ came for us to be able to live a abundant life, and that speaks to me of health, not to allow for myself to gain heaps of weight and get all tired and sluggish I don't believe god wants us to be all tired etc. I used to be so tired all the time before I started bodybuilding it wasn't a abundant life I had before I started bodybuilding....and 1 Corinthians 3:17 "...for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are" something worth keeping up, keeping fit in shape best that each one can, treat that temple well eat some fruits, eat some I don't know uh whole grain cereal in the morning etc.

Alana said...

Inspiring, Earen! I hope you reach your goal.

Alana said...

By the way, I think you should check out one of my blogging friends who is training for a 5k. She is almost to her a goal. I think her story would inspire you.

Check it out...

http://rochelle-blog.blogspot.com/

This is her address, you might have to search back for all he posts about training for the race.

Sittintall said...

Good for you, for wanting to run the 5K. I would love to, too, but not sure that I have the drive. Sounds like a have a very similar struggle. When you first started the mini me, I was all gung ho about starting to diet. Then I started reading all these great recipes and thinking about the fall and all the good harvest foods, and I gave up. It's too hard (I just don't want to!) I pretty much gave up the battle and decided to start in January after the holidays. So, I commend you for keeping the positive attitude and trying over again daily, no matter how hard.

Renee said...

You are so honest, and so dang lovable for it!!

How do we make ourselves do something that we don't want to? It's a HARD thing to figure out. Especially when it comes to something like eating healthy/wisely. It's not just a one time thing...it's a minute by minute thing. That makes it that much harder.

But...you're right. We feel better when we exercise discipline. When we make wise choices.

A 5K is a great goal...can't wait to hear all about it!

Sarah Markley said...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!! I totally wish I was there to run it with you!!! That's all I have to say about that. =)

BethAnne said...

You can so do it, girl! Do not give up! If you need encouragement you come to me because I believe you will do it. It is all a state of mind and once you set your mind to do it - you will. I cannot wait to see pictures of you with that number on your chest ready to start running! I have never even seen you in person (I will someday of course in heaven) but I am so proud of you I could hug you!
PS I would offer to come and run with you but I hate to run - ya think I could walk it? hahaha

I'm Tara. said...

Okay, Earen -- I am tempted to say I will do it with you. I can try, I'm not sure if my knees will let me, but I can sure try. When is it? Ack. I am so freaked out that I just said that! That means I need to actually start running a bit, huh? I have a distance in mind today that I'll try. I'm sure it's about 3 blocks and I'll be dying but I'm gonna try it with you in mind.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! And by the way, I totally don't want to either. At all. What a pair we might be!! Okay, will be.

Short Stop said...

I'm with everyone else....YOU CAN DO IT! Discipline is something I struggle with, but the reward and payoff are SO worth it!