Friday, September 21, 2007

Bowing down...


I'm a HUGE fan of the TV reality show, Survivor! Much to my excitement, another thrilling season started last night & this year it takes place in China. We all know that China is heavily influenced by false religions, more specifically Buddhism. Some of you bloggers might have seen this, but as the show started, the players were asked to take place in a ceremony that was expressed to them as NOT being a religious one, but one of the China culture welcoming them. One of the players this year is a Christian radio talk show host. Of course I'm instantly a fan of hers! As this ceremony continues, they are led in bowing down in front of the huge Buddha statue. Being a believer myself, & being very familiar with the verse from the Word that says that you shall not bow down before any other false idols...I watched with much anticipation as to what she would do. As time went on, she ended up getting up & leaving the ceremony & then on national television expressed her views on why she didn't bow down & that she had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Sitting in my living room I immediately shouted out, "Good for her!" She was ultimately given ugly looks by the other players as Jeff (the host of the show) questioned her as to why she left...then being labeled by others as the "Sunday School Teacher."

I have my holy anger with the world seemingly to "accept" whatever method works for you...until they run across a believer who has relationship with Jesus Christ. If we think this day & age is hard...it's only going to get harder for those of us who believe in Jesus Christ. I watched as this player (Leslie) left the ceremony & I had a moment of "believers pride"..so to speak. I was proud of her for taking a stand...and yet people all across this world are being persecuted for doing that exact same thing....for the name of Christ.

It caused me to think yet again...what am I taking a stand on in my life...being different from this world & mirroring the image of Christ? Leslie chose to take a stand & refuse to bow down...just like Shad rack, Meshak, & Abendigo in the Bible (ok, I don't know how to spell their names at all..it was a good guess!). They were put in the flaming fire for refusing to bow down before a false image & didn't get burned. But the fact is they were willing to get burned & die for the Lord. What in my life am I "bowing down" before? False idols that just don't display themselves as an actual idol, but they are. It has given me another day of something to evaluate in my own life...I desire Christ & Him alone.

I was really proud of this lady...she took a stand for Jesus!

8 comments:

Renee said...

Great post, Earen! (As usual). Definitely something deep to think about.

I think about this kind of thing a lot. I am so weak...and I wonder if I would have the courage and strength to stand up for God if it meant great persecution. I pray that I do. I pray that my faith is strong enough, that I don't care what the world throws at me. I pray that for my girls, too. It's a painful prayer to pray, but I pray that they have the kind of faith they would be willing to get persecuted for.

We take so much for granted living here in the US. Our faith SHOULD be something we're passionate about. Stand up for. Live for, and die for.

Sorry for the rambling, but thanks for the thoughts...

Stacia said...

Wonderful Post.

I too thought the same thing as I watched last night. Thanks for writting and getting me thinking what other "idols" I might have. Thanks for the encouragement and reminder.

Sarah Markley said...

Why this is so funny is that I watched it too last night. And I HATE survivor (sorry). I saw the whole Buddhist ceremony thing - I agree with you. The interesting thing about reality shows is that I think they edit to their own end what they want us to see. It looked miserable to me! =)

Kate said...

Hey Earen,

I'm here via Sarah's blog.

I didn't see it. I'm not Suvivor literate but it never ceases to amaze me that God uses much in our culture to bring glory to Himself...if we have the eyes to see. And you're right, many do not. But who knows? Maybe that woman's actions resonated with someone. That's what God's after. Drawing people to Himself, one person at a time.

Kate

Anonymous said...

I heard about that, too... I don't watch Survivor, but one of my "real life" friends and fellow blogger, Queenie Bee, lives in that girl's hometown. She told us to be watching for it. I'm with you... there are some things MUCH more important than games. Ironically, a lot of why we have lost integrity as believers in Christ is because we DO give in and follow the world's leads. I hope she continues to make wise choices. Oh, the pressure! You know they are setting this poor girl UP! It's so the drama! (to them, anyway...)

Short Stop said...

You're right...I find it so interesting that our society is so accepting of the "whatever works for you" mentality unless it's Christianity.

This made me think about the idols in my life. I have many. I'll reflect on that today during some quiet moments. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Alana said...

So thankful that she chose to go against the flow with that one. I'm sure it was not easy.

Denise said...

WHAT? WHAT??? Survivor has already started. No,NO,NO!!! I thought it started this week- on the 27th.
What am I going to do?
Sorry, I'm a bit undone at the moment (get it together Denise, get it together).
Okay, so I missed a week, no big deal, everything is fine.
WHAT ELSE HAPPENED!?
Wait, my hubby says we can download it off itunes.
All is right in the world.