Friday, September 7, 2007

Persistence

My older son Caleb is trying to figure out so many new things. The other day we worked for awhile on how to blow a bubble with his gum. I remember when I was little, I sat in front of a mirror for what seemed like hours trying to achieve the art of blowing a bubble with my gum! He's also working really hard on trying to figure out how to tie his shoe. So we continue to practice until he finally gets it!

As I was helping Caleb figure out how to blow a bubble, we found that we were laughing together & having fun trying to figure it all out! It took me a moment of trying to blow a bubble myself to remember how exactly to do it because I don't even have to think about how to do it anymore. Flatten your gum with your mouth....put your tongue through the middle of the flat part & while you're holding on to the edges with your mouth...blow. What?! Sounds kind of odd to explain in words...I just do it now.

Persistence eventually turns into unacknowledged habit. I desire that in my walk with the Lord. I "practice" so much and do things like being in the Word & prayer that is just become second nature and I don't even think about it anymore...I just do it! Over & over...studying the Word so that as I read it, I go deeper and eventually just start "blowing." The Lord desires us to hide His Word in our hearts. Inhigh-school I had to memorize the book of James twice. To this day, I remember passages of it & find that those verses come to my mind as I'm going through a situation.

I long for my love & passion for the Lord to continually just become like a bubble that is blown over & over, after being ever faithful in my persistent practice of it.

6 comments:

Sarah Markley said...

Great thoughts for a Friday morning, Earen. I like your ideas about habit and practice...things will eventually become second nature (but isn't it easier to get OUT of a good habit?) I always find its so hard to build good ones but super easy to lose the good ones you've built.

BethAnne said...

Thank you for the encouraging words you left on my blog! I totally agree with Sarah - it is easy to get out of a good habit, but difficult to get out of a bad one. Great post!

Short Stop said...

Oh, little buddy! I love seeing them learn...and watching them discover that they CAN do things with practice! :)

What a great analogy to our walk with the Lord. I often struggle to find time in God's word...well, I struggle to make time, and thus the "blowing" becomes work again. Thankfully, I know that God is working ever so patiently in my life and heart, and teaching me the basics over and over!!

I'm Tara. said...

I adore that you always bring your life experience back to your own experience and walk with the Lord. You are a wise woman, my friend!!!

Alana said...

What wonderful insight. You are right our time with the Lord and seeking his truth in our lives should be second nature.

lori said...

I just posted a few day ago about being an athlete in training for the Lord...running the race...kind of like blowing the bubble..over and over again...I know that God shows us where we need to be stretched...it's up to us to hear that and then keep on...keeping on...The good news for us is that HE never gets impatient or bored with having to see us do it over and over and over again...
I enjoyed the visit!
lori