Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Trust & Wait....


"Dear friend, you do not have to understand all God's ways of dealing with you. He does not expect you to understand them. You do not expect your children to understand everything you do - you simply want them to trust you. And someday you too will see the glory of God in the things you do not understand."

"When I cannot understand my Father's leading,
And it seems to be but hard and cruel fate,
Still I heart that gentle whisper ever pleading,
God is working, God is faithful, ONLY WAIT."

These are a couple quotes that have really stuck out to me in my devotional reading this week from Streams in the Desert by Cowman. It's probably my most favorite devotional book because it's deeper & thought provoking..just in case you hadn't already realize that I like thinking deeper!

We might not know all that God is doing in our lives or why He's doing what He's doing, but we are called to Trust and Wait on Him. About a year ago, the verse in Proverbs that says, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him & He will direct your path"...well, it really hit my heart strongly again. I've known the verse for what seems like all my life, but the part that says to trust in Him with all your heart & lean not on your own understanding....I meditated on that part for weeks. God really has absolutely no desire for us to have control or lean on ourselves & yet as humans, it's our first inclination to do so. What I realized is that God not only doesn't want us to lean on ourselves, but He doesn't want us to lean on our own understanding of the situation. God's ways are so much higher than ours & we think sometimes we have everything all figured out & then I'm humbled to a state of really knowing nothing & it's then again that I'm reminded that I'm nothing without Him.

Trust & Wait...forever learning.

6 comments:

Short Stop said...

Boy, this can be so hard to do! Trusting God, waiting...I just struggle so much with these two things.

Thank you for the encouragement, friend! I needed that today! :)

Sittintall said...

Trusting in God is a really tough thing to do. I want so much to put things in my own control (even though I may deny it at times). But, how much life would be made easier if we just gave him the control and trusted in Him! Yes, this was a great post and good reflective material for the day. What I wouldn't give to have someone like you in my bible study.

Renee said...

Ohhh...the thoughts this makes me think!

I used to read words like this, and just think 'that's cool'. I've really been trying to dig deeper lately, and Earen, you've been helping me do that. :)

These are some pretty deep topics to think on...thanks for getting me going! Love ya!

Sarah Markley said...

Trust - sometimes easy. But waiting - ouch! This is the hard part. Thank you for the reminder!

Alana said...

My oldest is a questioner. We'll tell him something that is true...like a fact about something or another...and if he has a different view on it he has a hard time believing us.

We're like...

Why don't you trust us?

We KNOW...really.

We're grown ups and we know these things.

Can't you just hear God saying the same things to us?

Why don't you trust me?

Hello!, I'm GOD!

I am the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.

I know these things!!

Anonymous said...

A friend just sent me that quote in an e-mail. In 2 hours I have a dr's appt to see about a sore that's on my right leg. I have to TRUST GOD and know that He works ALL things together for good for them that are the called of the Lord. Blessings ~Carolyn