Saturday, September 8, 2007

A Godly Heritage....

I've had two amazing women in my life...I mean, all my life. You know those women in your life who have made you who you are today & have impacted your life in so many different areas? It's a treasure to have these women in my life and as I grow older, I find more and more the true treasure that they are.

My Mama & Grandma...these are the two women that have impressed upon my heart things that will go on for generations to come. I think back at the many sacrifices that my mama made for me. The disciplines that she taught me...the treasures she showed me....the person in me that she loved without reservation. I think of my mama & grandma truly as the Proverbs 31 women. I aspire to be like them & find their example truly amazing. It's the little things that made life so wonderful....the china brought out for every special occasion...the trips to McDonalds when money was so tight & we split a small fry....the darling little lawn chairs my grandparents brought when they visited us....always remembering true "womanhood" and how to conduct ourselves....the encouraging talks...the help with my homework...the never-ending sacrifice of giving it all for me.

I'm so very thankful though for one very important passion they both handed down to me. The deep, love relationship that I have with my Heavenly Father. My Mama & Grandma are two of the most godly women I know & sometimes I joke that if you want to know what God thinks, you should ask my mom because she will pray & He will tell her! But really, it's true...they both have a special pathway to God's heart. They've taught me what a woman of God looks like...giving of yourself constantly, when self becomes lost in Him. They've taught me that this life pales in comparison to the glorious eternity I will spend with Him & they gave me the precious gift of knowing the Savior...not one of religion, but a true relationship with a God that loves me and gave up everything for me. They truly passed on a heritage to me that has been the greatest gift ever.

Even though I don't have girls to pass on the "girly" things that I learned from my mom & grandma, I think...no, I know I will pass on the most valuable & cherished gift on to my boys and that is the love of the Father. It's a big responsibility to take on in being a parent...pointing your children towards the Cross. But I'm honored that the Lord chose me...not only in the gift of my boys, but that He chose me to be loved by such an amazing Mama & Grandma.

Now I have three amazing women in my life though...ones that love me & share their lives with me. My Mama, Grandma, & now my Mother in-law. And my cup runneth over....

5 comments:

Sarah Markley said...

A very nice tribute to the women in your life, Earen. Also, remember that you will be a mother-in-law someday to women who will need YOU! You do have a heritage to pass along, to your boys (giving them the tools to choose godly wives) and to the young women who will one day be the mamas to your grandbabies!

Short Stop said...

What amazing women that God put in your life! I agree with Sarah...your daughters, who will become yours when your sons marry them will see that same passion for God that your Mom and Grandma have showed you, and they will be blessed by it!

This was indeed a great tribute to them!!

Anonymous said...

I hope that one day my daughters will be able to say the same about me...
There are days I go to bed thinking it will never happen, I blew it again! I get too tired to talk to them, I get too focused on my agenda instead of on these relationships, I expect too much, I'm too distracted, I forget to show enough affection, but I remember to correct everything. I try too hard... in living the days, I miss the moments. (I always say their daddy is their saving grace, some days!) :)

I am Martha, the one to whom Jesus said, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things... but only one thing is needful." I want to be more like Mary, who chose that one thing, and kept it.

And then I remember, "love covers a multitude of sins." I can rely on God's love for me, and I pray that my love for my children will be like seeds planted in good soil, that one day we will all reap, enjoying their delicious fruit. Just like your mama did...

Thanks for sharing.
Jen

Earen said...

Jen, it sounds like you are a woman who loves & follows the Lord & honestly that's the greatest gift my mom gave to me. Even after 32 years of life she gave me, when I'm frustrated, or don't know what to do in life, she's always said, "Did you pray to the Lord about this?" Always, always pointing me back to the Lord! It sounds like you do alot for your children & I have to say that I've never realized the true sacrifice & love my mom gave me until I've had my own kids. My mom knows she had times where she too blew it, but I honestly hardly remember those times....I ALWAYS remember my mama loving me...

I'm Tara. said...

You are a living tribute to them, Earen. I can say that because having the privilege to be your friend in real life, I have the opportunity to see Christ shine through you. I'm sure that they are more proud of you than you can even realize, and you are so blessed to have had that Godly heritage.

The McD's moment got me all teary, by the way. So sweet.